Timken front wheel bearing part number

Weasellee

Supporting Member
Want to replace front wheel bearing assemblies in stock Dana 30.
Does anyone have the Timken part number? Thanks

That seems proper. I came up with that number. Thought i could use my spare TJ bearings but it seems i would then need TJ rotors. 🤔

That seems proper. I came up with that number. Thought i could use my spare TJ bearings but it seems i would then need TJ rotors. 🤔
97 to early 99 use same unit bearings and rotors as you. Late 99 to 06 are the newer bearing and rotor. Nobody knows exactly when the switch happened (as in what time in 99).

Order from rockauto, not Amazon. Or at least somewhere that isn’t Amazon. Too many fakes. On my YJ I went with later model bearings and rotors, but I don’t know that it matters that much in the end. I liked the longer wheel studs on the later bearings. Don’t know that either bearing model is better or worse either way. My stock ones were still doing fine when I replaced them and I never had a failure on the later ones either. I think both are ok in design.

Most important thing is torque whatever you get to 175 ft lbs on the nut.

97 to early 99 use same unit bearings and rotors as you. Late 99 to 06 are the newer bearing and rotor. Nobody knows exactly when the switch happened (as in what time in 99).

Order from rockauto, not Amazon. Or at least somewhere that isn’t Amazon. Too many fakes. On my YJ I went with later model bearings and rotors, but I don’t know that it matters that much in the end. I liked the longer wheel studs on the later bearings. Don’t know that either bearing model is better or worse either way. My stock ones were still doing fine when I replaced them and I never had a failure on the later ones either. I think both are ok in design.

Most important thing is torque whatever you get to 175 ft lbs on the nut.
Let me get this straight. I’m replacing everything. Brakes, bearings and seals. Most my Jeeps are Tj. This is my daughter’s Yj. The only benefit is the longer studs? It seems the TJ bearing is more cost effective and then my Jeeps will all have interchangeable parts.

Let me get this straight. I’m replacing everything. Brakes, bearings and seals. Most my Jeeps are Tj. This is my daughter’s Yj. The only benefit is the longer studs? It seems the TJ bearing is more cost effective and then my Jeeps will all have interchangeable parts.
I have seen folks say the later model bearing is a better/stronger design. I have not seen any evidence to prove that. My stock bearing lasted fine, so I’m not sure how much it matters. That’s not to say the later part is NOT better, it very well may be, I just don’t know either way for certain.

If you’re doing it all, then there is little reason to not use the later TJ parts if they’re cheaper.

The studs are longer because of the rotors that came with the unit bearing style. The early unit bearing Jeeps came with crappy composite 2-piece rotors that warped bad. The later model used cast rotors which had a thicker flange, so Jeep lengthened the studs to make up for that. They also brought the bearing inward some to keep the vehicle track width the same.

Nobody makes composite rotors, so you’ll get good cast rotors no matter whether you keep the older part design or swap to the newer one. You’ll be fine whichever way you go, just make sure you keep the rotor model with the unit bearing model. Can’t mix and match.

As for all your parts mixing and matching across all your Jeeps, yes that will be true so long as all the others are late 99+.

Last edited:
If anyone cares. I placed my orders. BMB pads and rotors for late model TJ.
Through Summit I have Timken late model TJ unit bearings, replacement bearing bolts and new axle nuts. Have spicer U-joints and axle seals ready to go.
The Yj front axle is about to get some refreshing.
Thanks for your help 🇺🇸

Reactions: machoheadgames