Throwout bearing replacement

Tree top flyer

Supporting Member
I have been watching videos on you tube about replacing the throw out bearing on an 89 YJ with an AX15 transmission. The videos always show the replacement being done by removing the transmission/transfer case drive shafts, skid plate, shifter, etc. And, during the videos, the mechanic's complain about the job and also highly recommend having to have a transmission jack to remove the transmission.

My question is this: "since it seems to be a real pain doing all that, wouldn't it be easier to pull the engine (which is easier to remove overhead, than doing everything under the Jeep"? I don't have a transmission jack, but would go buy one if you all agree that it would be easier pulling the transmission.

I would sure welcome some opinions on this. Thank you

Last edited:
Hard to say which is “easier”. Engine might be a bit less stressful getting it all back together, but to me no doubt will take longer. I can do a clutch in a day by myself using a transmission jack. I buy long bolts that go into the engine bolt pattern at 3:00 and 9:00 and I chop the heads off. Those are my makeshift alignment dowels. Then all I have to do is get the trans up there and slide it right on.

An engine to me would take a lot longer as you have a lot of things to disconnect, fluids to drain, etc before you can pull it. Plus with the engine swinging around on the lift I don’t know that it would really be all that easy to roll into place back onto the transmission shaft.

So for me, I do it the transmission way.

Reactions: Iamtjc
Plenty of nuts and bolts either way, but if you separate the T case from the trans Its not bad weight wise @ 75 lbs or so. I did mine laying under the YJ on the ground with no trans jack. I did support the engine at the oil pan but it will stay pretty much in place without..but I would support it. DO us equality parts like LUK or something like that. I did not replace my master and had no problems bleeding the slave. The only must do advice is to drain the T case before trying to pull it unless you'd enjoy a atf bath

Reactions: Iamtjc