Throttle body

bigred94

hey guys i just bought a 91 yj 4.0. after doing a look over on it, i noticed it appears to be missing the throttle return spring. i have searched google and can not find a great picture, so can someone post a pic of the factory throttle body set up with throttle linkage and springs? i have found a few pics of newer tjs but nothing on the yj. i am having a problem with the throttle sticking wide open even when peddle is not to the floor. i have to stop and flip throttle back down by hand under the hood. any help or tips would be appreciated.
thanks!

yj.jpg

There is no throttle return spring. Some random TJs had them but YJs and most TJs didn't. You'll get used to the jerky throttle after a while.

As for the throttle sticking, you may need to clean the throttle body of carbon buildup, and lube where the butterfly valve hinges at.

I have sprayed the outside of the throttle body with pb blaster and have a can of throttle body cleaner but haven’t had time to clean it it. I have read that a vacuum leak could cause it to stick. Is this true? The thing that I don’t understand is when you are driving half throttle and it runs up and sticks fully opened peddle pulled to the floor.

PB blaster is a penetrating oil not a lubricant. Meaning that it contains acid to eat through the rust and some lubricant to aid in the removal of the fastener. The PB should be rinsed off with a solvent and another lubricant used to lubricate whatever it is that will be moving. Do not leave it on your throttle body. I had countless guys that used to work for me that used it like WD40 because they thought it was the same thing, it’s not, and they ruined a ton of equipment doing this.

Looks like you are missing the entire kick down/ throttle valve cable that connects to the trans? …if that is an auto trans.