Temperature sending unit 93 4.0

Guillermo63

I recently bought my first Jeep, 93 Wrangler with a 4.0 inline. The engine temp doesn’t work and I tried replacing what I believed to be the sending unit. Some components of this engine have been relocated to make it easier to work on. From the pic below, does anyone know if this is the sending unit or is it at the back of the engine?

IMG_0615.jpeg

IMG_0616.jpeg

From the factory, the back of the engine houses the 1-wire temperature sending unit that operates the temp gauge.

The motor is fuel injected and needs a temp reading. The computer that runs the fuel injection gets that reading from a 2-wire sensor on the thermostat housing.

The one you replaced in the heater hose is not factory, so no telling what all is tied to it.

Yes, the one near the firewall on the driver side of the motor is the unit that goes to the gauge.
It is a bit difficult to get out. I used a short, I believe 14mm or 15mm wrench to remove it. You may be able to use a deep socket, but be careful and inspect the inside of the socket. I have ripped two brand new sensors trying to use a deep socket before the unit was snug. I bought the unit from Napa and Crown and both seem good. I have a Crown in right now and the gauge seems to be accurate.

Mopar still makes the unit as well, but it will cost you around $20.

Yes, the one near the firewall on the driver side of the motor is the unit that goes to the gauge.
It is a bit difficult to get out. I used a short, I believe 14mm or 15mm wrench to remove it. You may be able to use a deep socket, but be careful and inspect the inside of the socket. I have ripped two brand new sensors trying to use a deep socket before the unit was snug. I bought the unit from Napa and Crown and both seem good. I have a Crown in right now and the gauge seems to be accurate.

Mopar still makes the unit as well, but it will cost you around $20.
Thank you. The engine has about 230k miles but seems to run pretty smoothly. I will get that sending unit replaced and start fixing several other things that need attention.

Reactions: DOWNS
Looks like they put a factory type sensor in the heater line and extended the factory wiring to go over to it for some reason instead of just replacing the sensor in the head like they should have. I don't know what they did or were thinking to Bubba this contraption together. At least they used heat shrink, I guess? I'm always baffled at the shortcuts people take to fix things. "Shortcuts" that had to take far longer than just getting the right part and fixing it properly.