Suspension lift kit suggestions for a stock 93 YJ?

Superbird17

Hello all,

Picked this stock '93 up a couple months ago for another resto project. A stock 6 cylinder, auto with a/c and hard top. I'm new to lifting these and looking for suggestions. The end goal is nothing more than a once a week around town/beach on the summer days.. No 4-wheeling or off-roading, I don't need it to ride like a caddy as roads are all flat here in Ft Lauderdale. When it will be taken out, it will most likely only cover 20-25 miles at most. So, I don't need to throw $$ away on a lift that'll never serve it's purpose. As they say..It's all show and no-go! :). I have a set of 33x12.5x15 Dunlaps A/T Rovers on aluminum Pro-comps series 69's .............see pics

I recently finished another '93 resto (profile pic) that only comes out on cool winter days with no rain lurking around. I only put a bikini top on it and love the openess during the cool time of the year here.
I have a build thread called "93 restoration complete". 93 Restoration Project Complete
That project started off with a 6" lift kit/shackles installed by the previous owner, therefor I never experienced the actual lifting of it. Thus why I need a little help.

I've read many many post and understand there's many ways to skin a cat. I'd rather stay away from any body lifting. Looking for a moderate lift

Opinions or has anyone installed the "Rough Country #620n2" kit which is a 4" suspension lift with a double steering stabilizer added. I know it's enough to clear 33's.

I'm also reading some say a slip yoke eliminator may be needed but can be added afterwards if there's driveline vibration (a wait and see kinda thing). As well as an extended brake lines and a transfer case/transmission drop kit...opinions?

I can always add shackles if I need an additional 1/2" to 1" lift, but I'm guessing 4" might be all I'd want without it looking to silly with huge open wheel wells.

1993 Jeep wranglet YJ-1.jpg

Pro comp series 69.png
4 Lift kit-1.png

Last edited:
Rough Country suspension is junk, plain and simple. Been there, done that. The shocks are terrible, the bushings supplied are super cheap and crumble into bits and fall apart in a year or two. By the time you spend the money and time to fix the Rough Country shortcomings, you could have just bought a better alternative and ended up with a better ride.

Dual steering stabilizers (dampers) are not necessary nor beneficial.

If you have to lift it, I’d suggest doing it right with Old Man Emu. But honestly, for the purposes you describe, stock is already perfect for that. It will never ever handle better than it does when it’s bone stock, simply due to the angles on the steering linkage and other components. Old man emu is great quality if you decide to go the lift route. Ft. Lauderdale may be flat but all roads still have potholes and bumps.

If it were me, looking for what you want to achieve, I would at least checkout Metalcloak front and rear fenders. The claim by them is being able to fit 35’s on a un lifted YJ with their fender system. That would keep your stock suspension and a low center of gravity.

"KEEP IT STOCK", it is a very good looking wrangler, money down rat hole, ride get hard, i would change to 235/75/15 tires , i think they give it a good look. good luck and safe driving.