Steering Stabilizer recommendations

mreff555

I have a 91 YJ and I am trying to stiffen up the steering a bit. It's not too bad at low speeds but my wife (her Jeep) is terrified above 50mph.

The recommendation and only aftermarket steering stabilizer I found was the Terraflex #1513001.

When I pulled off the OEM stabilizer I pulled both stabilizers to lock to compare length and noticed that the Terraflex is actuated much easier. I don't claim to know much about the mechanics of steering but this seems like it will make it worse. Any thoughts? Am I missing something?

I would check all the front end replaceable parts, tie rod ends ball joints etc. Any slop can cause this. Also, if the stabilizer is older I would replace it.

Also, I was able to find steering damper shocks for the YJ from Monroe, Rough Country, Skyjacker, etc.etc.

Rock Auto has an extensive selection. Pick a brand you like and roll with it. But honestly, the Jeep should be perfectly driveable even without a steering stabilizer. My 76 CJ5 didn't have one, and I could 1 finger drive that Jeep at 70 all day. But the steering system was in tip top shape. New steering shaft, column bearings were good, tie rods replaced as needed, ball joints were good.

Reactions: Gilaguy23