Steering Pulling

shawnolsen

I have a '95 YJ that I have found pulls fairly hard to the right going downhill (especially at higher speeds) and pulls to the left or simply stops pulling to the right when I start going uphill. I really discovered this yesterday driving on a road that had multiple little hills one right after another. I would find myself fighting the steering trying to pull me to the right going down the hill and then at the bottom as I started to go up either the pulling switches to the left or it simply stops but I haven't stop trying to correct which pulls me to the left. It's really annoying because I probably look like a drunk driver veering left and right as I go up and down. Any thoughts?

Assuming his Jeep is still built the same as the avatar, I'd think his suspension is ok, as he has stock shackles which are keeping his caster relatively happy. Not sure why it's pulling left and right, definitely could be locker related. Sometimes a worn steering gear suffers similar problems, they like to be on center and once they wear out it's hard to keep them there, and the assist starts once you go off center which can create a pulling feeling. Could also be leaf spring u-bolts are more loose than they should be.

Yes the jeep is still the same as the picture; I have had it for about a year. I'm slowly going through it and finding some issues, but it's my only vehicle so I'm hesitant to take things apart so far as to not be able to get them back together by the next work day. I believe it's a quadratec lift kit, maybe 6". I just put the new tires (33s) and wheels on it this summer. I have checked over the suspension and all the bolts are tight. I'll go over it again just to be sure.