Steering dampener

Mazvillas

Hi Guys, I am new to the forum and I'm no mechanic. I seek advice or suggestions, as I have recently purchased a replacement steering dampener. The problem is, that it doesn't fit. I have a 1993 yj model. The replacement looks the same, but the hole through Bush is too small. If I tried to drill it, it would cause the insert to turn in the Bush. Any ideas?

I try my best to avoid Omix and Crown brands as much as possible. I don't know if others have the same experience, but I find their products hit or miss. I ordered a Crown intermediate steering shaft and the teeth for it would not align with my steering box. I ended up returning it and getting a Crown replacement. The replacement worked no problem.

You may be having the same issue here, although I am not 100% on this. I would wait to see if anyone else can chime in on this.

Another user on this forum recommended this damper to me:

Monroe SC2928 Magnum Steering Damper​

Reactions: Mazvillas
I use the Monroe. Works and fits perfectly for pretty much any YJ or TJ. Don’t waste money on anything fancy, they all do the job the same way. Lots of the fancy ones are painted Monroes too. I also don’t like crown or omix and try to avoid them for as many items as I can.

Reactions: Mazvillas
I'll throw this out. On my 91 the end closest to the front tire uses a bolt that goes thru the bushing. I cant recall if there is also a metal sleeve at that end. The tie rod end slips over the "pin" in the tie rod. There is no metal sleeve on that end. I have a Rancho and a Monroe and both are the same far as bushings etc. Its possible a metal sleeve from the old one rusted on to the Tie rod end pin?? Far as Omix and Crown I'll ditto several time over regarding quality of some of the parts the produce.

Reactions: jeepjoe43
The passenger end has a sleeve so that it can bolt to the axle. The end that bolts to the tie rod is not sleeved because it bolts to a fat stud style bolt that takes up the entire diameter of the bushing.

Make sure your replacement damper has all the hardware…..
My first “new” damper was minus hardware…..took it back and replaced for a unit that had the hardware….
Hope this helps.