Steel or synthetic winch rope?

RiverRat

I am debating on whether I should install a winch. Most of my driving will be on the beach or logging roads where I hunt. My question is which line I should go with. From what I've read synthetic rope is not recommended for use in sand. Does anyone have any experience with this? The safety factor for synthetic is my main concern. I've had steel cables break before. The end results were not pretty. Luckily nobody got hurt.

I am debating on whether I should install a winch. Most of my driving will be on the beach or logging roads where I hunt. My question is which line I should go with. From what I've read synthetic rope is not recommended for use in sand. Does anyone have any experience with this? The safety factor for synthetic is my main concern. I've had steel cables break before. The end results were not pretty. Luckily nobody got hurt.
I haven’t used synthetic but it is recommended to be extended fully and hosed off if it has gotten any kind of dirt on it. Safety wise though it may be worth the extra trouble. Also winch needs to be kept covered because UV will degrade the line.

Yes I believe that it is also recommended to dry before respooling after use. Safety wise it’s great but not very convenient in my opinion.
I found the article that I read some time ago, it’s a Motor Trend article on steel vs synthetic winch cable it’s easy to find.

I run synthetic and don't miss the old wire rope at all.
If you ever got poked by a dirty frayed old winch cable, you know exactly what I mean.
The synthetic rope is lighter, safer, it doesn't poke through my gloves and is easily repaired on the trail.
The steel cable is theoretically stronger, but since I bolted a 12K winch to a 3500 lb jeep, it shouldn't be much of an issue.
The winch stays covered with a ̶$̶1̶4̶ amazon winch cover when I'm not on the trail.

**Edit: the $14 winch cover is now a $20 winch cover.

Last edited:
The Motor Trend article was excellent. The synthetic rope seems to require more maintenance than the wire. In my situation the Jeep is only used on the beach for surf fishing and on the logging roads in my hunting area. The winch is more of an insurance policy. At 70 y/o my days of spending hours digging myself out of places I shouldn't have been in the first place are over.

I probably won't be doing any more heavy four wheeling. We have more than our share of sand and sun here which are bad for synthetic rope. I will probably go with wire.

Reactions: ytradio
I would go with synthetic. Wire is a major pain. It's prone to bird caging if not re-spooled properly, and the dangers of it snapping under load and causing injury is quite high. It's also heavy as hell. Synthetic line is super easy to dry out, wash, etc... Literally you can toss it in a laundry bag and throw it in a washer or a bucket with a plunger and clean it, then lay it out to dry before reinstalling. Yes, synthetic line can deteriorate under UV from the sun, but salt water is hell on wire cable too.

Unfortunately this is one of those questions that has no correct answer. No matter what I decide on some level I will be wrong. Lighter weight, safety, higher maintenance and higher cost on one hand and heavy, cheaper, less maintenance and safety concerns on the other. Maybe I should just grab the come along out of the shed and call it a day. 🤔

I'm joking about the come along. 😁

Unfortunately this is one of those questions that has no correct answer. No matter what I decide on some level I will be wrong. Lighter weight, safety, higher maintenance and higher cost on one hand and heavy, cheaper, less maintenance and safety concerns on the other. Maybe I should just grab the come along out of the shed and call it a day. 🤔

The main reason for me choosing steel cable is the fact that in my use of winches I almost never have had an ideal winching situation. The cable is either run over a rock, a log, a hump in the ground, or whatever. And from the reports on synthetic that is a no no, unless you use a sheath of some sort. And that’s just more time and trouble that I don’t want to mess with. Other folks don’t mind, it’s just a matter of preference.

correct answer there is none,. only pros/cons
ever get cut bad by a fish hooked line (steel), only 1 time and your are cured for next buy. I promise
keep off the suns UV and the synth, lines are great.(use the cover)