Starter shimming?

Gilaguy23

YJ Enthusiast
Im helping out a friend replacing the starter his 91/2.5 YJ. It has a rebuild in it now and it has 1 shim. Im familiar with chevy sm's and being able to see the teeth vs valley depth but dont see how this is gonna happen on a 91. Thoughts on how to verify shim(s) or no shim(s) being necessary?

Im helping out a friend replacing the starter his 91/2.5 YJ. It has a rebuild in it now and it has 1 shim. Im familiar with chevy sm's and being able to see the teeth vs valley depth but dont see how this is gonna happen on a 91. Thoughts on how to verify shim(s) or no shim(s) being necessary?
Wish I had good input on this. My buddy with his 90 TBI 2.5 definitely needed shims although I don’t recall how many or what it looked like. 4.0 don’t use them at all, starter bolts right up. That same friend was dumbfounded that I could just install a starter straight on and go. He hated dealing with the shims as he had lots of problems with his started rebuild and had to remove and reinstall multiple times in a short time period.

My 92 2.5L also has only one shim but I don't know the thickness.

I found this in the FSM

1636034370390.png

1636034480596.png

Thank You!! Im was thinking you might be able to set it in place and feel or see if it seems to not want to seat against the block right. That may be pretty hard to do considering things. In Chevys you use a paper clip to check for clearance between the starter tooth and ring gear valley and shim as needed. Cant see in there in the yj so guess its a noise check game. They gave him the 4.0 starter accidentally so he off today on a mission to get the right one along with a few other items I saw that needed help. Thanks again guys!!!

Reactions: Flyer58