Spare carriers

Gilaguy23

YJ Enthusiast
Probably should have searched but I figured I ask here cause I know your rigs are mall crawlers. So.....any recommendations on a decent one that wont cost a small fortune. Ive pulled my spare off the tailgate probably 4 times now as the gate is self destruction from the weight. I made a interior carrier standing it off the roll bar, strapped it flat to the floor and all the above have their downsides like using what little room we have in back.

Unfortunately I have nothing to add as soon as I read "won't cost a small fortune"...I've had a few from Smitty and Rampage. The Smitty was better than Rampage but still seemed too expensive for the quality (or lack of). It did hold a tire, but just felt pretty cheap and really was not smooth operation and rattled like crazy unless you can build a contraption to put some preload on it when it's latched to shut it up.

I ended up going with ARB and spent WAY too much but I did finally get the results I wanted so.....anyways, I really hate the YJ tire carrier options, they are awful. The few good ones are way too expensive, everything else is mediocre at best in my experiences.

I was really close to ditching the spare altogether but I don't like that look and there is always the what-if factor in case you do ever need it. I don't trust my patching skills near as much as I trust my ability to unbolt 8 lug nuts and swap the tires out. So for that reason I still carry one and spent way too much to do so. It is what it is at this point.

If I were looking for a more cost effective solution, I'd probably buy the Dirtworx version which you will need to paint yourself, but he does a good job on quality. I don't see how his version will be smooth either with no bearings/bushings to support the tire, but I know his will secure nicely and not make tons of noise like the cheap china crap. He uses a good latch system.

Over the years Ive gotten used to rarely needing to open the back gate because of the shape of the gate itself. Ive got it strapped to the floor currently but dont like it really. Afraid If I rear ended somebody It would become a 60lb missile. I cant recall last time I got a flat on a vehicle but sure enough If I left it at home Id get one. I'll have to look at Dirtworx and see what they have. Thanks for the info Macho ;)

I don't generally carry a spare, and I wanted it off my tailgate just because it was something else hanging off the back to get hung-up on. (I'm hell on tail lights)
It has been my experience with bias ply tires there's no need for a spare, unless you have a lot of HP or get stupid, or both.
I did see a kit with bearings in it for fabbing a carrier that I'm looking at for future club running where they require one.
But my plans for a carrier are "very unique" and completely different from the bumper mounted stuff being offered.

I did see a kit with bearings in it for fabbing a carrier that I'm looking at for future club running where they require one.
But my plans for a carrier are "very unique" and completely different from the bumper mounted stuff being offered.
Summit Machine for the win!

Reactions: jeepjoe43
Dirtworx all the way, espcially for the small tire stuff.
Have you seen a DW in person? I considered them heavily but didn't know how well they swing (smooth, jerky, etc) and I was tired of the two step opening to get into the back. Any ideas? they sure seem like one of the best options from the fiscally responsible department of bumpers/carriers.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Have you seen a DW in person? I considered them heavily but didn't know how well they swing (smooth, jerky, etc) and I was tired of the two step opening to get into the back. Any ideas? they sure seem like one of the best options from the fiscally responsible department of bumpers/carriers.
No but considering their price and all the reviews I’ve read over on the TJ forum, I would recommend the DW stuff.

If you want something super smooth it’s going to cost a lot more than most are willing to spend.

Reactions: machoheadgames
No but considering their price and all the reviews I’ve read over on the TJ forum, I would recommend the DW stuff.

If you want something super smooth it’s going to cost a lot more than most are willing to spend.
Gotcha, I agree with everything you said. Just haven’t seen one myself and always wanted to. And no kidding, the smooth stuff is way expensive. Too expensive for sure. Oh well.

I have a "custom" (using the term very loosely) bumper and I made it just the right height that my tire is sitting on it, taking a lot of the weight instead of the tailgate.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Buddy of mine fabricated one for me.....He built the bumper and fitted a Nissan Pathfinder tire swing to it........Love it!

ain.com%2Fimages%2F0015%2F42%2F05%2F15412450_large.jpg

Mine...........
Teo6Bs.&owa=outlook.live.com&scriptVer=20210906004.jpg

Teo6Bs.&owa=outlook.live.com&scriptVer=20210906004.jpg