Somethings in my oil (not metal)

Tanker_01

I checked my dipstick on my 2.5L in my '89 the other day and I have some kind of crusty/gummy particles in my oil. There were not very many of them but they were large enough to see with my eye and small enough to stick on the end of the dipstick. It was NOT metal however. Whatever it was is able to be crushed/squished into basically a liquid again and does not feel gritty or sandy. It almost feels like it is silicone that has been left inside oil so it denatures. What could this stuff be? The guy I bought the jeep from had the top end of the engine rebuilt before putting it into the jeep so could it be some byproduct of the assembly of the top end? Should I pull my valve cover and oil pan to investigate further? I have no overheating issues and normal oil pressure across the board.

My first thought is there's a little coolant getting in the oil. Is the coolant level getting low? Do you see any moisture on the underside of the oil cap or oil on the radiator cap? That does go along with a head/gasket problem the previous owner had and I wonder if they changed the oil after the head work. At a minimum I would change the oil filter because it will get blocked and a oil change if you think it's that bad. A few $5 filters won't break the bank. When a internal leak gets real bad the oil looks like a milkshake.

My first thought is there's a little coolant getting in the oil. Is the coolant level getting low? Do you see any moisture on the underside of the oil cap or oil on the radiator cap? That does go along with a head/gasket problem the previous owner had and I wonder if they changed the oil after the head work. At a minimum I would change the oil filter because it will get blocked and a oil change if you think it's that bad. A few $5 filters won't break the bank. When a internal leak gets real bad the oil looks like a milkshake.

That was my first thought too but no coolant loss and nothing in the coolant at all. I know what oil in a failing head gasket looks and smells like and this seems altogether normal other than the small particles. I think I'm with you on just changing oil and filter and see what comes out. I will cut open the oil filter and pull the filament apart to check for metal shavings. Might pull the oil pan too since its relatively simple on this engine just to see if anything is in there. I put a big magnet in the bottom of the oil pan to see if I catch anything on it.