Sloppy steering wheel

Tylertaylorson2

89 yj 4.2 ax15 5 speed
I've replaced my gearbox and pump and steering shaft with quality stuff and am confident as well in my front end steering components. If you immobilize the steering shaft there is still play in the steering wheel meaning that the steering column has play in it somewhere. I can not find much information about this online and could use some help identifying the exact location/part that needs work.

4 inches but lift shouldn't matter. If I immobilize the steering shaft the wheel has slop in it hence it must be in the steering column

Very likely feeling loose steering from both the wheel and the lift. It is nearly impossible to lift 4” and not lose a bunch of steering feel. Even with all new components.

Reactions: RoxxRocks
For the column it could be that your upper bearing is loose and allowing for slop. There is not a lot of places for slop to develop in the column.

Not really sure what you mean when you say immobilize steering shaft. Are you saying you pulled the shaft off the column? If you didn’t then you could also have slop in the shaft u-joints.

The slop has been there since before the lift got put on. I am fairly certain it is not the bearings because the steering wheel does not move up and down or side to side it is very solid but when rotating it it has slop even if you were to hold the steering shaft in place for example with a set of vice grips or something and when Inspecting the shaft u joints they are also solid (and new) so I'm trying to figure out if there is a joint or way to tighten the steering wheel in the steering column

There is a universal joint inside the column, sometimes they get sloppy. Tilt steering columns are notoriously tricky to repair. Good news is, good working replacement columns are plentiful and not too expensive. If you have the slop narrowed down to inside the column, my advice is to replace the whole thing.

Here's a link to an exploded view:

Last edited:
I agree with Stoopid jeep.

I have a 93 with tilt steering. It has a Saginaw steering column.

You should be able to get one at any junk yard.

You already replaced the 2 u joints on the intermediate shaft between the steering column and steering gear box.