Right rear banging noise

kcorcoran

Let's play a game.
"WHAT THE F' IS THIS NOISE!?"

Background: Yesterday, flushed the cooling system and take it for a spin, basic driving, nothing crazy. Stopped to make a left hand u-turn on a dirt road, gunned it a little to fishtail and whip the turn. Tires spun a little, no problem but then I hear this god awful sound like something is beating the tub on the passenger side. Though maybe it was a rock bouncing around. Let up and it stopped. Now when I'm taking off form a light making a left turn and it leans, a hard left, or going in a circle to the left under moderate acceleration... this is the sound I get. Doesn't sound like a rear end sound, literally sounds like something hitting something hollow.

I pulled the wheel, axle is in there good, no play.
Looked underneath to see if anything is scraping/banging on something, nothing visible.
Sounds speed is dependent on vehicle speed. Almost sounds like tire knobbies are rubbing on the tub but it's not.

Anyone heard anything like this? Suggestion on where to duct tape my cell phone to next? I'm thinking maybe on the pumpkin facing out the passenger side.

For now I told my kid to drive it but go easy on the left turns because it doesn't make the sound on slow speed left turns.

...and figured it out.

yoke was hitting the heat shield mounted to the tub. But how, it's like an inch apart.

Well..

Turns out both bolts holding the trans to the mount loosened over time and the last one dropped out when I whipped the u-turn on the bumpy dirt. You can see in the video when I turn left, the trans went right and the yoke was smacking the heat shield.
Dropped the crossmember and found one of the bolts, put that back in and as a bonus, tightened the clamp on the front of my cat so no more exhaust leak. Now I just need to get another bolt. For now, 1 is better than none.

20230419_120436.jpg

Transmission mount should have studs on it that would keep it from sliding around like that if fasteners came loose. There are aftermarket poly transmission mounts that have threaded bolt holes instead of studs. Maybe that’s what you have. I despise those poly trans mounts, and highly recommend going back to rubber with studs like the stock style. Would have stopped this from you ever having a problem and they just plain isolate vibes better.

If you don’t have a poly mount with threaded holes, then I’m super shocked how the drivetrain could be moving like that.

This mount definitely didn't have a stud on it. just 2 bolts going up into the trans and 2 going down to the x-member. I don't have much history on the vehicle so I can only assume it's a stock mount as doesn't seem to be much aftermarket on the truck except for some longer shackles on the sagged springs.

This mount definitely didn't have a stud on it. just 2 bolts going up into the trans and 2 going down to the x-member. I don't have much history on the vehicle so I can only assume it's a stock mount as doesn't seem to be much aftermarket on the truck except for some longer shackles on the sagged springs.
Have any pics?