Recommend replacing Water pump bolts?

pigg

I am in the middle of replacing Serpentine belt and water pump. I will Thermostat housing bolts because I can see rust on the bolts. Do you recommend replacing 4 water pump bolts? I don't see any damage or rust on the bolts though. By the way, these bolts are factory original, 1994.

They aren’t wet.
I thought rembered those holes going all the way I to the coolant passages? ..maybe not.
If the hole doesn't go into a coolant passage, you shouldn't use thread sealant.
If the threaded hole does go into a coolant passage, I highly recommend permatex thread sealant paste.

Sorry for any confusion.

Last edited:
I thought rembered those holes going all the way I to the coolant passages? ..maybe not.
I f the hole doesn't go into a coolant passage, you shouldn't use thread sealant.
If the threaded hole does go into a coolant passage, I highly recommend permatex thread sealant paste.

Sorry for any confusion.
No coolant protrusion on the WP or t-stat bolts thankfully. The bolt holes for the water pump are cast into some little nub looking pockets that protrude into the coolant themselves but are sealed from the coolant. You can feel them on the backside of the holes when you reach into the block through the large water pump opening.

I believe what you are thinking of is the front left cylinder head bolt, it protrudes down into the water jacket and needs Teflon to prevent coolant coming up above and making a mess.

Reactions: Stoopid Jeep