Radio Wire Connections?

Nick

Hi guys! New to the forum. Question about radio wires here, as PO seemed to rig up various wires and connectors that I can’t seem to trace them back to. The harness itself was disconnected and hanging down underneath dash. As far as I understand, correct me if wrong, but I’ve taped off the wires that run to the speakers along with the ground with red elec. tape. The blue, yellow and red wires are what is confusing me, and there’s even a green wire in there that I’m not sure even belongs. Wondering what these wires are, and where they exactly run to!

I’ll post a few pictures of the situation, thanks! 1988 Laredo 4.2

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I pulled out two harnesses that looked similar to those and guessed they for different radios. Definitely not part of the factory harness with the crimps and splices. There's often a ground, hot wire, ignition switch wire, power antenna wire and speaker or amp wires even though some may not be used.

These are the standard colors but most owners also use whatever they find in the garage.

Wiring Harness Color Standards
Wire ColorWire Function
Yellow12V Constant / Memory
RedSwitch / Accessory
BlackGround
BlueAntenna Remote

Reactions: Chris and Nick
Awesome, I definitely didn't think that they were factory. Would you happen to know where the red and yellow wire run to under the dash? I'm guessing there's also a way to connect the two separated blue wires? Figuring I could clean up that green wire too, as there might not even be a need for it, thanks!

Awesome, I definitely didn't think that they were factory. Would you happen to know where the red and yellow wire run to under the dash? I'm guessing there's also a way to connect the two separated blue wires? Figuring I could clean up that green wire too, as there might not even be a need for it, thanks!
I have no idea where they go. It could have been from a recent radio shop or a bunch high school kids back in the 80's. Just to be clear the blue wire go to the electric motor to raise/lower a power antenna not the actual antenna coax cable to the receiver.

Time to follow each wire see were they end up. There is a wiring diagram in the factory service manual located in the Resources section of this forum. Download what you need and believe me you will need them in the future.
YJ Resources | Jeep Wrangler YJ Forum