Questions for the AX5 gurus

DOWNS

YJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So finally found an AX5 locally that someone didn't want 800 for a core that needed a rebuild. It's out of a totaled 2001 TJ with lowish miles. I currently drive my 95 YJ as a 4 speed becuase when in 5th it sounds like a cyclical grinding noise is occurring every 3 seconds or so (depending on speed) that almost sounds like 5th is slipping, but I lose no power when the noise happens. Currently I'm tempted to replace the end seals and run it.

But figured I would ask those who know the AX5 better if the issues with 5 gear were ever addressed in later models or if I need to pull the rear of the trans off and do any 5th gear fixes while I have it on the workbench? And if so, what are the fixes? A replacement snap ring right?

Thanks for any advice.

ax5.jpg

I have installed a few used ax5s and have never bothered opening them up or worried about 5th gear issues. I would clean and install with a new clutch kit and not worry about it.

Reactions: DOWNS
I am pretty far from being a guru, but have done a little research. Apparently the 5th gear issue is usually caused by a failed snap ring.
They make a "cure". I've never tried it, but here's a link.

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler YJ Forum may be compensated.
I want to say that the design of the snap ring remained until the end of that trans in 2002, but I’m not 100% sure. I do know the snap ring is the issue on 5th gear going away, though usually there’s no grinding. Usually the gear just slides away and all of a sudden 5th gear is just an abyss of nothingness.

I’d probably try the kit linked above for fixing one.

Reactions: DOWNS