Popping out of gear

It has a 2” shock and leaf spring lift from what I was told.
Take some pics of the jeep from the side showing the full Jeep and take some from the rear. I'll be able to determine what I asked from pics. that will determine how to fix your shifter issue.

Reactions: Chris
It may have to do with the lift as suggested above, or it could also be a bad synchro in the transmission.

It may have to do with the lift as suggested above, or it could also be a bad synchro in the transmission.
The lift doesn't really tell me anything but if he can show me he has a t-case drop or a body lift then that would explain it. The YJ shifter is obviously pretty long throw in stock form as well as the tub opening is very close to the shifter. Lowering the transfer case or making the same effect by raising the body almost always causes problems in the YJs. Guess we'll see when he posts though.

So with the body lift is the rubber boot now to far up the shift lever and is pulling it into neutral?
Sometimes that’s part of it but also the shifter hitting the tub keeps it from getting all the way into 2,4,R most of the time. I don’t even know if he has a body lift. But that’s the main issue with them as far as shifters are concerned.

Reactions: Flyer58
The lift doesn't really tell me anything but if he can show me he has a t-case drop or a body lift then that would explain it. The YJ shifter is obviously pretty long throw in stock form as well as the tub opening is very close to the shifter. Lowering the transfer case or making the same effect by raising the body almost always causes problems in the YJs. Guess we'll see when he posts though.

That's right. I was thinking about TJs, and if you add a body lift or motor mount lift to the manual transmission models, it can cause the shifter to hit the tub opening and pop out of gear.

I'm still newer to YJs, so I'm not sure how much of it is the same, but near as I can tell they have more in common than not.

That's right. I was thinking about TJs, and if you add a body lift or motor mount lift to the manual transmission models, it can cause the shifter to hit the tub opening and pop out of gear.

I'm still newer to YJs, so I'm not sure how much of it is the same, but near as I can tell they have more in common than not.
YJs are the exact same concept as a TJ. Body lift and transfer case drop make the shifter shorter as it disappears further into the floor. Not a motor mount lift though.

He still hasn’t posted any pics and has only mentioned his suspension lift so we have virtually no information to help him off of.

Reactions: Chris
YJs are the exact same concept as a TJ. Body lift and transfer case drop make the shifter shorter as it disappears further into the floor. Not a motor mount lift though.

He still hasn’t posted any pics and has only mentioned his suspension lift so we have virtually no information to help him off of.

I'm wondering if he'll even reply at this point.