NVH compatiability

Lambchopo

Good afternoon everyone,
New to the forums and trying to get some information that I can find anywhere. Finally starting my 4.7 stroker build on my 95 yj 4.0 and I'm eyeballing some nvh blocks out of 2 98 grand Cherokees casting numbers are 53020569. They look really close to my block (last 4 of 8405). Anyone have any experience with doing a swap?

Good afternoon everyone,
New to the forums and trying to get some information that I can find anywhere. Finally starting my 4.7 stroker build on my 95 yj 4.0 and I'm eyeballing some nvh blocks out of 2 98 grand Cherokees casting numbers are 53020569. They look really close to my block (last 4 of 8405). Anyone have any experience with doing a swap?
what is an NVH block? Is that just a term for the smoother running 1996+ engines? If so, anything 96-99 should work, but you will need to tap the cylinder head at the rear for the coolant temp sending unit.

If you can find a very late 1995 YJ, it will have the newer engine and will be properly tapped for the sending unit, but it will probably be difficult to locate that engine specifically.

All that said, I think the TJs and Cherokees of those years mostly run smoother due to tuning and the girdle attached to the main bearing bolts. If you're keeping it OBDI and not upgrading to OBDII, it probably won't be as smooth as a normal TJ or Cherokee engine from the factory, even though it is that same physical engine. The YJ tuning can be sort of rough.

Ya it's the thicker later block with girdle. And I already have the head your talking about. My jeep is a later 95 yj thanks my dude!

Ya it's the thicker later block with girdle. And I already have the head your talking about. My jeep is a later 95 yj thanks my dude!
I’m not 100% on part numbers and such but I believe if you have a late 95 with the TJ engine, you already have basically exactly what you’d get out of a TJ/XJ from 97-99. So you should be good to just build your own engine, unless you need to drive on yours while you build one on the side. But if it’s a spare vehicle, I’d just build what you have. I believe you should have a girdle on the bottom of your block in a late 95.