Not sure what’s wrong

cjruff41

Supporting Member
Hi I got another question for someone who is more talented than I am. I have a 1991 yj 4.0 with 5speed. Put a center force 2 clutch in 2 yrs ago. Lately for some reason when I’m going threw the gears every time I let my clutch out it chokes out and tries to die. Not it’s not from not knowing how to drive I do. I have a to tap the pedal so stop it. Any clues?

The problem is possibly more on the gas pedal side than the clutch side. Taking your foot off the gas may cause a fuel/ idle issue which you notice when you step on the gas again.

The problem is possibly more on the gas pedal side than the clutch side. Taking your foot off the gas may cause a fuel/ idle issue which you notice when you step on the gas again.
Thanks for such a fast response if it was on the gas side wouldn’t it do it when I let off the gas anytime? It only does it when I’m letting the pedal up and if I let it up slow enough basically slipping the clutch it won’t do it

Thanks for such a fast response if it was on the gas side wouldn’t it do it when I let off the gas anytime? It only does it when I’m letting the pedal up and if I let it up slow enough basically slipping the clutch it won’t do it
That's a good point. The difference may be the engine RPM's are dropping close to idle when shifting whereas when driving the RPM's are more constant.

How is the idle after starting or when parked in neutral? Smooth? Is it the gas pedal you're tapping to keep it going?

One thought is the Idle Control Plunger in the throttle body. They get gummed up and stuck sometimes. It may be fully closed and slow to react. You'll see it if you remove the intake tube on the throttle body, it's electrically driven. No need to remove the plunger yet but try spraying some Gumout type product in there. Clean out all the tar and residue you'll see in there.

Again this is just a guess and a cheap fix to start with. Also check around the clutch pedal for any hanging / loose wires which may be grounding out or stretching when the pedal is depressed. You would notice that when idling too.

That's a good point. The difference may be the engine RPM's are dropping close to idle when shifting whereas when driving the RPM's are more constant.

How is the idle after starting or when parked in neutral? Smooth? Is it the gas pedal you're tapping to keep it going?

One thought is the Idle Control Plunger in the throttle body. They get gummed up and stuck sometimes. It may be fully closed and slow to react. You'll see it if you remove the intake tube on the throttle body, it's electrically driven. No need to remove the plunger yet but try spraying some Gumout type product in there. Clean out all the tar and residue you'll see in there.

Again this is just a guess and a cheap fix to start with. Also check around the clutch pedal for any hanging / loose wires which may be grounding out or stretching when the pedal is depressed. You would notice that when idling too.
AT idle it’s totally smooth. No problems. Would the throw out bearing have anything to do with it? I’m only asking because sometimes here recently it’s pretty hard to get into first gear!!

AT idle it’s totally smooth. No problems. Would the throw out bearing have anything to do with it? I’m only asking because sometimes here recently it’s pretty hard to get into first gear!!
Probably not unless it was frozen up somehow. Do the RPM's change much at idle when you step on the clutch or is there a loud noise?

All gears except reverse have synchros which may be worn. You might want to check/change the transmission fluid level and bleed the clutch line again. Those shouldn't effect the engine when shifting while driving though.