New YJ Owner

Ericmaibach

So I ended up buying a 1991 YJ yesterday on a bit of a whim. I own a JK, but am new to older Jeeps. This one runs great, and mechanically has been well maintained. Has some frame surface rust and some body rust. Questions:

- Should I worry about the frame surface rust? Don’t know that I am willing to pull the body off, but thinking of trying to take a air needle scaler and grinder to it to get off as much rust as possible and then painting it. Has anybody tried this, will it do a decent job of prolonging the life of the frame?
- As you can see I have some body rust to deal with. Any suggestions?

F0373339-2E24-4A8F-8D3A-AFD7815CA1A0.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks pretty nice,congrats! The descalers work good on paint removal, not so sure on surface kinda rust. I spent far to long using one of them bastages on the coast removing Carboline and Tenemec paint. We did lots of blasting as well. Needle gun,wire wheel and some good primer or something like POR15 is said to be real good. Cant ure to treat the rust but Id look inside the frame holes as well for more significant rusting. Id also put a jack under one side at a time, and lower each side of the belly pan a couple inches to see how it is between the plate and frame. Just remember the B pan holds up the rear of things like the T case and trans.

Congrats on the new baby! I'm about to build my first YJ also. I will keep up on this post to see other good ideas. I plan to remove the body blast and power coat the frame. Anything I should look for in that process? My other plan is to us gun coat on all other parts like nuts, bolts, brackets, etc.
Any ideas or concerns please post!

Congrats on the new baby! I'm about to build my first YJ also. I will keep up on this post to see other good ideas. I plan to remove the body blast and power coat the frame. Anything I should look for in that process? My other plan is to us gun coat on all other parts like nuts, bolts, brackets, etc.
Any ideas or concerns please post!
My only concern is, why aren't there any pictures posted yet?!

I did not know a picture was mandatory to chat for advice in my future build. Thought this site was friendly get along and help everyone site. I must have misread the owners bio!
Guess there is one in every group. Good luck everyone.

I did not know a picture was mandatory to chat for advice in my future build. Thought this site was friendly get along and help everyone site. I must have misread the owners bio!
Guess there is one in every group. Good luck everyone.
My apologies if I came off wrong, that was not my intention. Bad joke I guess?

Photos are indeed not mandatory, I just look forward to other people's rides.✌️

Very nice looking YJ. As for the frame then surface rust may just wip off with sandpaper unless it's really bad. The majority of frame rust issues start from the inside and work to the outside. Check between the transmission skid pan and the frame.

Yeah, everyone like a good picture! :)

Very nice looking YJ. As for the frame then surface rust may just wip off with sandpaper unless it's really bad. The majority of frame rust issues start from the inside and work to the outside. Check between the transmission skid pan and the frame.

Yeah, everyone like a good picture! :)
Yea, like his mine is also from Ohio, or I am assuming since he is in Ohio. Rusted from the inside out. I thought at first that I would be able to fix this one, but the more I get into it, it looks like it may be fixed by a new Throttle Down Customs frame.