New to Jeeps

THEWRANGLERWRANGLER

Hi, just picked up a TJ and a 95 YJ 2.5L. I didn't know about the community until I bought the Jeeps and everyone has been really nice. I don't know much at all about jeeps and aside from driving it everywhere I wondering where should I start. Any suggestions?

20230805_203017.jpg

Last edited:
Since they're new to you they need a through inspection for worn parts and things need to be fixed before you really start going full tilt. I agree with above. I would leave them alone for a while and "get to know them" before jumping off any mod rabbit holes. I used to be all into the mods, lifts, bigger tires ect. Nowadays I'm much happier with a mostly stock Jeep with maybe a traction aid and using those to explore instead of just trying to climb the biggest rock.

Welcome to Jeep life. I 100% concur with the two above, feel them out as they are and see what you need to improve from there to get them to where you want them to be, if anything. those are pretty modded as is, they aren't stock by any means so there might even be things you want to undo about them to get them closer to stock for better handling, preferred looks, etc.

My jeep came to me almost completely stock except for a set of aftermarket wheels and 31's. If I could go back 10 years ago when I got it, I would without a doubt find a set of stock wheels, downsize the tires back to 235s from the 31's, and would have pretty much left the rest alone besides simple accessories like lights and such.

Welxome to the forum!!! I always recommend just enjoying the jeep starting out. Too many people want to start upgrading before they really get the chance to see what the jeep can do in current form.
just seeing this, thanks this was the best advice. I can compare it to riding a motorcycle in really learning to dominate the vehicle and reaching its full potential as is.

Since they're new to you they need a through inspection for worn parts and things need to be fixed before you really start going full tilt. I agree with above. I would leave them alone for a while and "get to know them" before jumping off any mod rabbit holes. I used to be all into the mods, lifts, bigger tires ect. Nowadays I'm much happier with a mostly stock Jeep with maybe a traction aid and using those to explore instead of just trying to climb the biggest rock.
Thanks, i have already run into some things including frame rust on the yj. After being devastated a friend of mine who owns a TJ explained that its not the end of the world. I just wasn't sure what to look for, the excitement of everything also blinded my objectivity.

Welcome to Jeep life. I 100% concur with the two above, feel them out as they are and see what you need to improve from there to get them to where you want them to be, if anything. those are pretty modded as is, they aren't stock by any means so there might even be things you want to undo about them to get them closer to stock for better handling, preferred looks, etc.

My jeep came to me almost completely stock except for a set of aftermarket wheels and 31's. If I could go back 10 years ago when I got it, I would without a doubt find a set of stock wheels, downsize the tires back to 235s from the 31's, and would have pretty much left the rest alone besides simple accessories like lights and such.
Thanks for the advice, aside from the frame rot, I currently love the way the YJ handles. I can't say the same for the TJ, but it belongs to my wife and she loves it as is. They handle completely different, I like the stability of my 31's.

Welcome!

Thorough inspection; suspension, brakes, oil leaks, tires, belts, hoses, fan clutch.
replace belts, hoses, air filter, etc. as needed. it's worth emphasizing. brakes are important.

Replace the fuel filter, chances are you have no idea how long its been on there.

Thermostat ...just replace it. so many times, ive tracked a problem caused from PO installing wrong t-stat, defective t-stat ...no t-stat. just replace it. At this point inspect and test the coolant, if it's questionable, change it.

Check EVERY fluid, all of it. most people never change trans fluid/oil, diff oil, t-case oil.

cleaning and retightening grounds (every ground on the rig) is free and will often cure a lot of "gremlins"

these rigs are greasable, climb under it with a grease gun and lube everything.

otherwise, give it good cleaning and go enjoy it.

if you decide to mod it, just be honest with yourself about what you are trying to do. sometimes a small body lift and tires is all that's needed to get "the look".
...sometimes you need lockers and a sawzall ;-)

Last edited: