New Texas edition member

island hopper

Supporting Member
1st time Jeep owner. 92 Islander, 4.0, Autobox. 278K miles. Previous owner used it as a daily driver since 1994. Always garaged. Dad owns auto repair business, so all maintenance done religiously. Minor surface rust in cab floor area which I am addressing. I am adding a/c from Jeep Air, a new radiator, transmission mount and servicing all fluids. (7).
She is all stock. Looking forward to having some fun, Island style..

jeep.jpg

jeep2.jpg

jeep3.jpg

Thanks Macho, your YJ looks amazing. U I went through some of your post all the way back to 2020. Very detailed and your work is waaaayyyyyyy above my pay grade and skill set.
Modifications are always time consuming and usually call for more mods to balance things out. There is always the $$$$ factor that goes along with any modifications project.
You are detailed orientated and it shows, but can be frustrating at the same time.
My only mod so far is the a/c install. I will probably upgrade the exhaust, add some additional lights, (yours look great), and possibly some internal engine work (at a much later date).
For now, I'll just complete my current to do list and enjoy her for awhile.

Lon

SirDoop, yes the retro look of the Wranglers, specifically the Islander is way cool. Blue would really stand out.

Thanks Macho, your YJ looks amazing. U I went through some of your post all the way back to 2020. Very detailed and your work is waaaayyyyyyy above my pay grade and skill set.
Modifications are always time consuming and usually call for more mods to balance things out. There is always the $$$$ factor that goes along with any modifications project.
You are detailed orientated and it shows, but can be frustrating at the same time.
My only mod so far is the a/c install. I will probably upgrade the exhaust, add some additional lights, (yours look great), and possibly some internal engine work (at a much later date).
For now, I'll just complete my current to do list and enjoy her for awhile.

Lon
Thanks. The skills I have all came from YouTube, self discovery, and forum browsing. I still can not weld or setup gears but I am happy enough at least being able to do 99% of repairs and I know enough to go custom with wiring and electrical projects.

In some ways I would say I went too far with my jeep. It's still apart in pieces in my garage despite dismantling it almost 2 years ago now. I fully have plans to finish it up but man it's hard not to get burned out and quit for months at a time. Especially when I have another vehicle that drives great and is fun to drive, makes me feel less enthused to go sweat my ass off in the garage to work on the YJ. I do love that Jeep though, passed 9 years with it yesterday, crazy. I should definitely be back on the road with it before 10 years, but we'll see. Weird that I've now kept it mostly parked longer than the 4 years I daily drove it.

AC is a great mod. I want to eventually do the same but out of practicality I'm not sure I ever will. Mainly because if it's so hot outside that I need AC, i probably want to be in my truck in that case, not the YJ. But I can certainly see the appeal if you will have doors on or want to drive it in the humid rain. the plan for mine is 100% sunny day only, and only when it's like 80-85 out or less. If it's hotter than that then it just doesn't make sense for me to be in a YJ when I have a truck.

What part of texas you in? I'm in Dallas but have lived in beaumont, college station, and Montgomery as well. Great state, but wish the weather was nicer.

I'm in Kingwood area, North of Houston. The a/c adds value and is there when I need it. Like you, and most Jeep owners, "free" air conditioning is the norm. I decided to do a few additional things before I put the a/c in. I took the steering wheel off to address a sticky ignition and the missing column gear indicator. I also removed the seats and carpet to deal with the surface rust on the floorboard and around the bottom of the rear pillars. Nothing bad, just decided to take care of it and repaint the interior tub. Installing the a/c will be much easier with everything out and no steering wheel.
I also took all the floor plugs out and will replace them. Every bolt is being cleaned and refurbished also. I degreased and steamed the engine so that its more tidy and less messy to work on. Everything seems nice and dry and having a clean bay will alert me to any issues.
It's much nicer to not have any mechanical/transmission issues to deal with and having a solid body is a blessing as well. I also have a 1972 Datsun 240Z and 87, Porsche 928 S4 that are pretty much stock and I drive them a lot, weather permitting.
Texas is nice but I lived in Hawaii for 7 years and Southern California also and got spoiled.

Reactions: SirDoopYJ