New Old Man

Alan

I’m 70 just bought my first Jeep, mainly because I always wanted one. I’ve got some experience wrenching on classics but never a Jeep. I Just recently became the 3rd owner of a 1988 YJ 4.2L with 112k miles, minimal rust other than driver floor pan and hole on frame member, and ugly gas tank skid plate. It’s been in long term poor storage (undercover-outside). I recognize I may be way over my head but I really need an owners manual and workshop manual as a starter.

Congratulations!
But, heads up, you are going to have to deal with storage mortality in the near future.
Mostly in the hydraulic arena and probably some electrical too.
The frame member rust you describe is concerning, I would have had a walk away moment.
Though being a Classics gut you're probably familiar with these kinds of issues.
I have the Chilton '87-17 manual, but it's pretty vague, hence my being here.
Have found the voices of experience VASTLY more informational!
Welcome!

JEEP

Just Empty Every Pocket

Pics

A5FD6373-30D8-4625-BB59-A56B3C697F6E.jpeg

735B8885-B34D-496E-8A39-5C785585BB17.jpeg

48EB748C-D9A4-4023-81A2-A55BFC765229.jpeg

F014CDFD-D0D4-4EE3-A0DE-D0009E4222C8.jpeg

8D48BCBC-998D-49F4-A412-81399E6D19BE.jpeg

Completely stock, and unmolested, Nice find!
Hard to find a YJ that hasn't been beat to death on trail or molested by amateurs.
I had the same luck too, mine was so clean I just had to have it...

Reactions: Alan
Two rather large driver side floor pan holes...and one bottom side hole on left front on frame member (the latter has me concerned wondering how one can get to it. Fixed few brake lines, Gas drained, new oil fired up nicely...changing diffs fluid before sneaking it out on road briefly. Tires are shot. I would really like to buy an owners manual if one knows if one. Going back to garage, later.

Two rather large driver side floor pan holes...and one bottom side hole on left front on frame member (the latter has me concerned wondering how one can get to it. Fixed few brake lines, Gas drained, new oil fired up nicely...changing diffs fluid before sneaking it out on road briefly. Tires are shot. I would really like to buy an owners manual if one knows if one. Going back to garage, later.
This forum has a great library of Factory Service Manuals and other helpful documents. You may not find your year model but they really didn't change all that much
Link: YJ Resources | Jeep Wrangler YJ Forum

Can you weld? I cut out my drivers side floor and welded in a new one.

I could do the por-15 and fiberglass patch on floor holes but I think the Jeep is too nice for that. So I get panel welded in.