Mystery Engine

redbullet

YJ Enthusiast
Recently bought a 1992 YJ. VIN shows it came with the 6 cylinder. Prior owner must have blown the 6 cylinder engine, as it now has a 4 cylinder in it, which needs a timing chain (but I digress). I am trying to find out the year of the engine and need a bit of help. Engine code is not between cylinder 2 and 3, as I thought it would be, per the google. The code is under cylinder 4 and says "53008403". Any help deciphering is appreciated. Under cylinder 3 is stamped, "FINB" and three horizontal lines...weird.

Also above the alternator there is a rectangular piece of metal about 7" x 4" with four threaded holes on the corners and the molar symbol on it. It has the following numbers: 53007602 and 47896. Probably not relevant to my question, but thought I would add it.

Going to need some pics. Do the motor mount brackets look rewelded on the frame? Do all your VIN locations have the same vin? Could be a 4cyl Jeep with a windshield that came out of a 6 cyl and kept the old vin plate on it. Pics may help. VINs can be found on a plate on the firewall, windshield/dash plate, and there is usually a tag under the frame by the steering box, kind of under the front bumper. Driver door should have a sticker with the VIN on it too.

I think the number you want is the one above the 53008 number. It's by the oil dipstick bracket. You may need to clean it off to read it.

1atf2.jpg

One VIN look up site said mine came with a 6, but has a 4. Looked it up elsewhere and they said 4.

From what I read swapping from 4 to 6 or visa versa is a pretty big undertaking and not worth the effort. Perhaps a body on frame swap due to rust? Check the frame ID numbers if you can find them.