My new to me YJ

White J

Just picked up a YJ with a 2.5l. Runs great not much power with 35's and a 4 inch lift but everything works. Just found out it has an 8.8 in it. For 2k cash I dont think that was a bad deal.

IMG_4667.jpg

1000002416.jpg

1000002418.jpg

It is gutless. Feels like a 4 cylinder Toyota truck I drove of my friends. But it will run 70 on the highway in 4th gear at 2400 rpms.

My 92 has a 2.5L, AX5 and 31's.

Flat land here and I can cruise around in 5th and even hit 70 on the highway. Not any acceleration monster but that's probably how I drive anyhow.
Whopping 14 MPG.

It is gutless. Feels like a 4 cylinder Toyota truck I drove of my friends. But it will run 70 on the highway in 4th gear at 2400 rpms.
Very nice buy, If its showing 70 with 35's at 2400 rpm, they probably didn't change out the speedo gear in the transfer case. Most likely doing about 60 mph, you can check it against a GPS. Doesnt cost much, and only take 5 or 10 minutes to change it out.

Very nice buy, If its showing 70 with 35's at 2400 rpm, they probably didn't change out the speedo gear in the transfer case. Most likely doing about 60 mph, you can check it against a GPS. Doesn't cost much, and only take 5 or 10 minutes to change it out.
I had my son following me in my Cadillac and he checked my speed. 65 mph at 2200

Reactions: zebraranger
Very nice buy, If its showing 70 with 35's at 2400 rpm, they probably didn't change out the speedo gear in the transfer case. Most likely doing about 60 mph, you can check it against a GPS. Doesnt cost much, and only take 5 or 10 minutes to change it out.
you are correct. I was gps at 62@2500. My son doesnt watch the dash correctly.

you are correct. I was gps at 62@2500. My son doesnt watch the dash correctly.

I went through the same thing when I bought my YJ. It's a cheap, quick and easy fix replacing the speedo gear with the correct size one. Just 10 minutes and two bolts if I recall correctly. Ordered my speedometer gear off of Amazon for around 29 bucks.

You just need to know the gearing in the rear differential (stamped on the backside of the differential). Once you have that, there's an online gear chart that will tell you what little speedometer gear to order based on the tire size you're running.

I went through the same thing when I bought my YJ. It's a cheap, quick and easy fix replacing the speedo gear with the correct size one. Just 10 minutes and two bolts if I recall correctly. Ordered my speedometer gear off of Amazon for around 29 bucks.

You just need to know the gearing in the rear differential (stamped on the backside of the differential). Once you have that, there's an online gear chart that will tell you what little speedometer gear to order based on the tire size you're running.
speedometer in jeep doesn't work. I am working on getting it too now. I ordered a speed sensor after I verified it had 8.5 volts to the wire.