Mechanical Questions

New to Jeeps

Hey guys, I had the wiring to my 92 yj replaced and and it finally runs and drives 😅.
I towed it home from the mechanic because I knew it needing some tlc after sitting for a few months and didn’t want to risk breaking something. It had barely any coolant in the system when I went to drain it so I bought some Prestone radiator flush + cleaner. The bottle recommends for a thorough cleaning to run the engine on idle for 3-6 hours, I got to 2 hours and 3 minutes when I noticed the battery smoking (it was just a little steam but still enough for me to slightly panic and turn off the engine). My dad said it probably ran out of water is all, so the next day I filled it up with water and ran the engine. It wasn’t long before it did the same thing, so I turned the engine off. I thought it was the battery so I put my other battery in (which was dead so I had to jump start it) I tested the voltage when I got it running and the battery read 17 volts while running but 12.1 while off, so I knew it wasn’t the battery.

So I bought a knew alternator which is 90amps (I don’t know the amperage of the old one yet but I’ll be taking it to autozone tomorrow to find out) I installed the new one today and started it up and the battery still reads 17 volts…. Is this normal for a 1992 4.0L yj? And if not, do any of you know a fix? If the old alternator turns out to be a 90 amp one I can only assume that I need to buy a higher amperage alternator like a 136 amp. If that is the fix, will I also need to replace the alternator wires for bigger ones? Thank you guys in advance for your advice

No, its not normal. Th ECM regulates the alternators charging output. It has nothing to do with the alternators charging abilities. Not having a clue what the "new wiring" entails, the wiring could be wrong, or your ecm has problems. You should see 13.8 to 14.3V with it running.

No, its not normal. Th ECM regulates the alternators charging output. It has nothing to do with the alternators charging abilities. Not having a clue what the "new wiring" entails, the wiring could be wrong, or your ecm has problems. You should see 13.8 to 14.3V with it running.
That’s what I thought. I had the wiring harness replaced because it had electrical issues. The mechanic who replaced the wiring replaced it with a 93 yj harness. I have a warranty on the ecm so I’ll probably send it back to them. Quick question though, does a 1992 yj have an ECM, ECU, PCM, or does it just have a SBEC?