Looking for a tailgate hinge upgrade

Weasellee

Supporting Member
Looking for ideas better than stock quality tailgate hinges. Or for that matter what hinges are you running? Luci’s ‘95 stock hinges are hanging low and are in need of an upgrade.
Any ideas are acceptable 🇺🇸

I'm not aware of any "upgrade" hinges.
The best upgrade I know of is get the spare off the tailgate and on to a bumper with it's own tire carrier.
There are lots of stock aftermarket replacement hinges out there from places like Quadratec, Morris and the like.
Crown even offers them in aluminum, though I wouldn't call that an upgrade, they're just cheap castings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Weasellee
I'm not aware of any "upgrade" hinges.
The best upgrade I know of is get the spare off the tailgate and on to a bumper with it's own tire carrier.
There are lots of stock aftermarket replacement hinges out there from places like Quadratec, Morris and the like.
Crown even offers them in aluminum, though I wouldn't call that an upgrade, they're just cheap castings.
Stock tore amd wheel. Just years of use has worn bottom hinge. Could replace with the stock i would as always prefer an upgrade for f possible. I’m sure a new set of stock will get us another few miles 😁

Reactions: jeepjoe43
Stock tore amd wheel. Just years of use has worn bottom hinge. Could replace with the stock i would as always prefer an upgrade for f possible. I’m sure a new set of stock will get us another few miles 😁
That's what the rubber bumpers were there to prevent, to the extent that they could.
Most of the aftermarkets hinges will probably be better than stock anyway if you buy from a reputable manufacture.
My stock hinges are fine, but I don't carry a spare, I've never broken a Swamper.
The more weight off the ass end, the better. Cleaner, too...

Looking for ideas better than stock quality tailgate hinges. Or for that matter what hinges are you running? Luci’s ‘95 stock hinges are hanging low and are in need of an upgrade.
Any ideas are acceptable 🇺🇸
You're already ahead of everybody else if you have a late 95 because they have better hinges than early 95 and prior.

That said, I don't know of any upgrades either, all the aftermarkets are thinner and weaker than stock. You need the bumpers on the tailgate to secure the tire. Without those, your tire will destroy the tailgate hinges everytime, no matter how strong the hinges are.

Reactions: jeepjoe43
You're already ahead of everybody else if you have a late 95 because they have better hinges than early 95 and prior.

That said, I don't know of any upgrades either, all the aftermarkets are thinner and weaker than stock. You need the bumpers on the tailgate to secure the tire. Without those, your tire will destroy the tailgate hinges everytime, no matter how strong the hinges are.
Well. I must have an early 95. ☹️

If you “upgrade” to TJ tailgate hinges, make you also get the tailgate hinge backing plates from said TJ.

There are a couple manufactures that offer true billet aluminum TJ tailgate hinges.

Never done it personally. But it can be done. TJ tailgate hinges also allow the elimination of the tire stop on the YJ tub as the TJ hinges have a built in tire stop.

If you “upgrade” to TJ tailgate hinges, make you also get the tailgate hinge backing plates from said TJ.

There are a couple manufactures that offer true billet aluminum TJ tailgate hinges.

Never done it personally. But it can be done. TJ tailgate hinges also allow the elimination of the tire stop on the YJ tub as the TJ hinges have a built in tire stop.
TJ Hinges don't really work because their bolt spacing is wrong. The hinges I was referring to are TJ style as in they look identical, but they have the same spacing as all early YJ hinges and only came on the late model 95 YJ. Not sure about the built in stop though, I believe all YJs had the stop, but maybe the late 95 had it in the hinges and a stop and were just redundant while keeping the same look. I'll try to look on autotrader and see if I can figure that one out.

Barely any good results from AutoTrader but I found a 95 with the later hinge style and it did have a stop, albeit smashed in, probably from a wreck.

My 95 has the standard hinge and stop. I ordered the Crown automotive aluminum hinges that are like the TJ hinge amd a match to the late ‘95 hinge. Hopefully it fits well and tightens everything up. These are cast aluminum, probably factory quality and come unpainted. A bit of black rattle can and I’ll post a photo when done. Thanks

My 95 has the standard hinge and stop. I ordered the Crown automotive aluminum hinges that are like the TJ hinge amd a match to the late ‘95 hinge. Hopefully it fits well and tightens everything up. These are cast aluminum, probably factory quality and come unpainted. A bit of black rattle can and I’ll post a photo when done. Thanks
Can’t confirm but they will probably be good quality. Lots of times it seems crown buys up old stock anyways. Mopars used to be for sale and the product image was literally the same as what Crown is now. For sure post up your opinion of their quality when you get them.

The Crowns I've seen don't look like billet, but castings.
Good luck with them, if those are the ones you ordered, I'm also interested in your opinion on quality.
My past experiences with Crown have not been good, cheap axles with very poor metallurgy.

Good luck with them, if those are the ones you ordered, I'm also interested in your opinion on quality.
My past experiences with Crown have not been good, cheap axles with very poor metallurgy.
Cast aluminum I’m sure they will be. Can’t be worse than the stock style all but i need to paint them and I bet I’ll need to source hardware but that comes easy locally thanks to Sarjo

They are definitely shoddy quality on many things. A few things however from them have actually even come in Mopar bags. Door seals are the last I remember that did. Guess we’ll see how the hinges are when they arrive for weasellee.