Light Chirp

Redheadmedic

My 93 YJ is leaving me scratching my head. Got a check engine light last week, code 41. Replaced the alternator and the belt. Belt squeaked when accelerating. Figured out it was loose and adjusted it. The squeak when away but there was another squeak. Sounded like the idler pulley. Replaced that and readjusted tension on the belt. Now there is still a very light squeak (more like a chirp) only heard when the hood is open. It does not change when you increase the RPM's. Any idea what the heck is going on?

I have that same HF stethoscope and that thing is LOUD. Works well. Inspect the item first because one the the tubes on mine is crimped from being folded in the package.

Purchase a cheap mechanic's stethoscope and you should be able to pinpoint the problem quickly.
We used one and it led us to the idler pulley. The only thing we can think of is the water pump but we can't get to it for a listen due to the fan.

It's a pain to remove the belt but if you have the chirp and remove the belt without touching anything else you will eliminate any of the accessories that turn. Just run the engine for a very short time to hear if it's still there.

Reactions: Redheadmedic
Remove the belt and then spin all the belt driven items by hand to determine which one is not smooth.

As stated above, if it makes noise with belt off, you have another issue.