Lift kit advice

Moyock13

Supporting Member
1993 YJ with at least 6" shackles and stock leaf springs, running 33's. I do not believe that there is any body lift. I'd like to un jack the suspension and replace with a 4" lift.

Any advice?

IMG_1607.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
What does your budget look like? What do you use the jeep for? 4 inch suspension lift is going to get expensive if done correctly.

I'd like to at least do some trails or dunes/beach, not much into rock crawling. I did get a quote from a local 4x4 shop and it was a bit tall.

How picky will you be about ride quality?

If not super picky just buy a set of rubicon express springs, Rancho shock absorbers.

I would remove the track bars but keep the sway bar.

I would do SYE and DC shaft but people get away with dropping the transfer case (I don't like or recommend)

There will be a dozen more little things you will need to do. Just curious what was the shops quote and what parts were they going to use? Can you post the quote?

It was just a verbal quote, They said that they would install their suspension kit at about $2500. Not ever having installed a lift kit, I'm somewhat nervous about parts and downtime. I'm thinking a 4x4 shop might have better know-how than me in the driveway.

Ride quality is high on the list. My better half always says that it rides like a truck! =) And I tell her, "Well, it's a Jeep!"

I started with very little knowledge 3-4 years ago, but if you have time to research and a desire to learn, you can learn and save a ton of money compared to paying a shop, and in many cases you’ll do better work because you care.

Leaf springs are pretty simple.

Reactions: Pman
I started with very little knowledge 3-4 years ago, but if you have time to research and a desire to learn, you can learn and save a ton of money compared to paying a shop, and in many cases you’ll do better work because you care.

Leaf springs are pretty simple.
I agree..there is no reason to pay a shop to install a lift. If you have a little knowledge and basic hand tools you can do it.

It was just a verbal quote, They said that they would install their suspension kit at about $2500. Not ever having installed a lift kit, I'm somewhat nervous about parts and downtime. I'm thinking a 4x4 shop might have better know-how than me in the driveway.

Ride quality is high on the list. My better half always says that it rides like a truck! =) And I tell her, "Well, it's a Jeep!"
A YJ will always ride rough. Some shocks are probably gentler than others, and if you run a lower tire pressure (20-25) you’ll get a little help there too.

Just think of it like riding a horse: a jolting open-air experience that requires constant vigilance because it might spook and buck you off!

Thanks ya'll. Appreciate the pep talk. We'll give it a go, my step son is a mechanic for the local power company.

Any reason for a body lift? I read somewhere that there can be clearance issues with just a suspension lift.

My YJ came with 33’s and no body lift. It had 2.5 inches from the leafs, and I think another 1.5” from shackles.

It rubbed a little at full lock, which was a result of backspacing. I never took it off road and fully flexed the suspension.

My limited experience says 33’s will work with 4” springs, BUT if you’re not needing a lot of ground clearance, you could consider downsizing your tires. I have 30’s with the 2.5” springs and stock size shackles, and it is much nicer to drive than when I got it. I imagine your steering is loose and wanders around.

With smaller tires I get better handling, way less road noise, and more power out of the stock gears.

Yep, it does wander, but I'm not intimidated by it. Besides, I like the 33's and would go 35's if the axles and little 4 banger could handle it. As it is with the 33's running downhill, wind behind me, sun at my back, I might get into 5th comfortably! Reminds me of my old 1957 VW Bug!

No, you're right, nothing wrong with it. I'm just not a fan of the body lift look. But it's not completely off the table either.