Leaf springs pulling towards one side of the car

jaysyro

I have. 92 YJ. Lifted 4 inches. Additionally has boomerang shackles.

The other day I noticed when looking directly at my car facing its front, the leaf springs both curve towards one side of the car. I see some of the bushings connection the leaf springs to the shackles worn out as well.

What is the cause of this and how can I fix this? Track bar related?

With a lift and the track bar(s) still installed, and none or the incorrect track bar extension, then yes, its can, or will, push and pull the diffs side to side especially when the suspension cycles. Sitting unloaded parked we'll say ultimately the track bars would ideally be perfectly level. Basically with one end fixed and the other swinging it changed its length as things compress or hang with wheel drop. Cant say how your rig is set up but bent frames or shackles, worn spring bushings, bent springs,missing or broken spring center pins can all ad to these problems. Looking at your rig from the front or rear which side do the wheels stick out further?

Sounds like a track bar problem to be. The front will be pulled to the left (drivers side) and the rear will be pulled to the right.

That's what I was thinking but being I just got up a few ago :0, I couldn't recall which side the frame brackets are on. makes for some "dog legged" crusing if things are to short or long.

That's what I was thinking but being I just got up a few ago :0, I couldn't recall which side the frame brackets are on. makes for some "dog legged" crusing if things are to short or long.
Certainly makes for some very uncomfortable cruising and ruins the bushings of the leaf springs you just installed as well. Definitely need to use the extension brackets, extended track bar itself, or ditch altogether.

Do you have the factory T Bars still? I dont think they make anything but stock length and adjustable. if you still have the stockers then I bet its pretty far off with a 4" lift.

Reactions: jaysyro
I’m realizing that the guys who installed my lift never installed the front track bar relocation bracket! That’s why I see the problem in the front but not the back. Smh.

Do you think this could have done damage to my frame? Or once I get an adjustable TB I should be all set?

I’m realizing that the guys who installed my lift never installed the front track bar relocation bracket! That’s why I see the problem in the front but not the back. Smh.

Do you think this could have done damage to my frame? Or once I get an adjustable TB I should be all set?
Nah, it would have damaged the springs, spring bushings, or shackles before it would ever do anything to the frame. If the spring bushings are rubber you might want to check on those, otherwise I wouldn't worry too much.

Like macho says naaaa..but if its been a while the bushings may have developed a "memory" of sorts and even with the track bar off it might not self center.

Like macho says naaaa..but if its been a while the bushings may have developed a "memory" of sorts and even with the track bar off it might not self center.
Which bushings - just the leaf bushings? Because I’ll replace whichever ones will do the trick.

Which bushings - just the leaf bushings? Because I’ll replace whichever ones will do the trick.
Yes, would be the spring eye bushings that would be damaged if any. They may be perfectly fine.

What suspension is it? If it’s poly bushings in the springs, they’ll be more forgiving. It’s the rubber bushings, especially cheap ones like Rough country uses, that are prone to damage from being exposed to too short a track bar length for extended periods of time. The short track bar pulls on the axle which constantly puts sideways stress on the bushings, always pulling on one side. If you have poly’s you may be good to go, and maybe you don’t have any damage at all regardless. That would be ideal.

I just noticed you actually said you notice worn lead spring bushing connections at the shackles. I’m going to guess you should probably get new bushings ready to install. Depending on what lift you have we can probably figure out what bushings you should buy.