I am in the process of rebuilding my steering column. I have completely disassembled the column including the interior column that connects to the transmission linkage. If anyone needs help or wants pictures I will post them as questions are asked.

I am in the process of rebuilding my steering column. I have completely disassembled the column including the interior column that connects to the transmission linkage. If anyone needs help or wants pictures I will post them as questions are asked.
Sounds like a well documented rebuild with photos could benefit folks in the future. I say go for it.

I’ll definitely do a write up. I’m in the process of cleaning all of the parts. When I’m ready to reassemble the column I will take photos and do a write up. Hopefully this will help some folks. I couldn’t find anything that had a complete breakdown including the inner shaft that connects the column shift to the transmission linkage.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
I have a 93 and the u-joints are very worn. Can they be purchased?

For the steering shaft. I have already ordered the whole shaft
I am a little more educated now on the steering shaft. Since my jeep is lifted it has one long shaft (33"). The shaft I ordered is 24"s. I am not going to pay $250 for a long one, so I will attempt to use the joints of the 24" one and install them on my long shaft. Has any done this before? Any issues?

Never tried that and have not heard of anyone doing that.
It turns out that the new shaft I got was 24" and mine was 33, but the new one telescoped out to reach the 33 inches I needed. I hope that is how it was intended to be used. All the play is gone and I am finally starting to enjoy driving it.

It turns out that the new shaft I got was 24" and mine was 33, but the new one telescoped out to reach the 33 inches I needed. I hope that is how it was intended to be used. All the play is gone and I am finally starting to enjoy driving it.
They are designed to telescope so they don't pulverize you in a front end collision. It just so happens that the telescoping function is handy for body lifts too. The stock ones seize up pretty good with age and being exposed to elements which makes you think it's a fixed length. They always telescope though. My stocker seized up but the body lift pulled it back out a bit. It was still too stiff for me to work in and out myself but the leverage of the body lift was enough to pull it still.

Reactions: Brian