Jeep dies

Bob Gooud

95 4 cy. jeep was owned by older brother that passed. It had started quiting on him and wouldn't restart for a day of two. When I got it i replace the coil dist cap rotor and plug wires. Since I have driven a couple of thousand miles with no engine problems. Monday morning went for a drive and it quit. Pulled it home and it wouldn't start. Went out Tuesday morning and still wouldn't. That afternoon I had my wife switch the key while I stood at the back to see if I could hear the fuel pump. It started immediately. And has several times since. Oh before it quit it started missing. My brother had the fuel pump replaced. But it by a shade tree mechanic who knows what kind of fuel pump or from where he use. Could this fuel pump and what else do i need to look at??

Reactions: jeepjoe43
When you have the no start condition does the Check Engine light come on when you turn the key from off to run?

This could be a number of problems with one being the ECU (computer) and heat related. Quite often the three capacitors go bad and it controls everything. Those capacitors can be replaced by someone who knows how to solder. It's worth just unplugging the ECU connectors, spraying them contact cleaner and reconnecting them. Also do the same with each relay found in the fuse box.

95 4 cy. jeep was owned by older brother that passed. It had started quiting on him and wouldn't restart for a day of two. When I got it i replace the coil dist cap rotor and plug wires. Since I have driven a couple of thousand miles with no engine problems. Monday morning went for a drive and it quit. Pulled it home and it wouldn't start. Went out Tuesday morning and still wouldn't. That afternoon I had my wife switch the key while I stood at the back to see if I could hear the fuel pump. It started immediately. And has several times since. Oh before it quit it started missing. My brother had the fuel pump replaced. But it by a shade tree mechanic who knows what kind of fuel pump or from where he use. Could this fuel pump and what else do i need to look at??
Welcome to my world, Identical recent symtoms! No CE light.
Identical fixes performed.
I'm beginning to suspect a bad ground to the pump from rodent damage.
Though I've not yet done any diagnostics or inspections but I had rodent damage to new taillight grounds.
Recent 1" body lift and the top of the tank would be perfect critter realty.

hadn't thought of short to fuel pump. will certainly look into it.will look into ECU also. Thanks

Upon turning the key on every time you should get a second or two of fuel pump buzz as it pressures things up. Ive also read after market coils, the yellow ones,Acell? are notoriously fail prone if thats what you might have. Without codes its pretty much a crap shoot whats failing. The Crank position sensor is also a intermittent problem maker.

Had my '95 2.5 completely shut down when I tried to start it one Saturday morning after running flawlessly for over a year from purchase.....No power to fuel pump.....No fire from coil, So I sent my ECM to be rebuilt. Good price, Life time warranty ll for a little over 100 bucks...But no dice on return....Crank, No start. Check crank sensor with multi gauge...A little off, So I replaced...No dice.....
Checked all the relays including shut down....All good.....So after a month of beating my head against it, And with a buzz on I dove deep into the net and look what I found.......Check out what #5 controls power to.........The F'n DOME LIGHT fuse!!!!
Sure enough, Changed it out......Started off the second stroke!! Hope it helps.....
maxresdefault.jpg

Hope your pic of the fuse box is the same for my 91 4 banger. No fuse says wipers or wiper motor so Im gonna yank it and see if that does. Im getting to the point if I look at stuff wrong it craps out so I dont wanna tough anything I dont have to.

Reactions: jeepjoe43
Hope your pic of the fuse box is the same for my 91 4 banger. No fuse says wipers or wiper motor so Im gonna yank it and see if that does. Im getting to the point if I look at stuff wrong it craps out so I dont wanna tough anything I dont have to.
That would be what I call the "Tidy-Bowl" touch, when everything you touch turns to :poop:!!
Been there, seen that...And lately way too much.

When I was young it seemed like I could turn junk-yard crap into gold, now the needle seem to be swinging other way.
Or maybe I'm just waxing philosophical.

I hate that Jeep labeled it dome on the fuse box. That is not at all what it is and it isn’t 20A either. It is a 10A red fuse from the factory and it is for the ASD and fuel pump relays. Says right in the factory service manual. It doesn’t really matter what it is or what it does so long as you fixed the problem, but I just wish it were more clear that it is NOT the dome fuse and is not controlling the dome lights inside the cab.

Really it was just typical Jeep laziness, as you can see in the first post that the old 87-90 fuse box actually had the dome light in that spot and used a 20A fuse. They kept using the same fuse box with same labeling but repurposed that slot for 10A ASD/FP relay circuit without changing the box labeling. Dumb/confusing.

C61CBBAF-CE43-45AE-BC31-DC40603CAB86.jpeg

E47DD40F-A561-4837-B94B-E91F22F3FDA1.jpeg

Last edited:
What’s wrong now? Do you not have the circuit breaker for wipers? What problem are you experiencing? The circuit breaker does not describe itself as for wipers but that is what it is for. Wipers are the only thing on a breaker instead of a fuse.

Pretty certain every YJ is the same in this regard all the way back to the CJ days I believe.

CEF70CAE-3F4B-4CF8-9856-6B33CACA3CB7.jpeg

Your pic is certainly different than the fuse box in my 91. Id have to double check but I dont recall a breaker there. I also have a yellow,IIRC ,fuse in the #2 spot which is not supposed to have a fuse in it. There is also a red wire coming from what looks like the back of the fuse. God knows what secrets that one holds behind it.
Anyhow, my wiper issue now is I installed the new wiper motor and still have no return to base of glass and no high speed ops. 95% of everything looks factory on mine, however I believe the PO's stereo shop may have removed the dash to install the speakers at either side of the dash as I cannot see how you could have gotten the speakers in there of the nuts on the speakers themselves. I keep finding more mystery mods Im bent on identifyying ya know.

Your pic is certainly different than the fuse box in my 91. Id have to double check but I dont recall a breaker there. I also have a yellow,IIRC ,fuse in the #2 spot which is not supposed to have a fuse in it. There is also a red wire coming from what looks like the back of the fuse. God knows what secrets that one holds behind it.
Anyhow, my wiper issue now is I installed the new wiper motor and still have no return to base of glass and no high speed ops. 95% of everything looks factory on mine, however I believe the PO's stereo shop may have removed the dash to install the speakers at either side of the dash as I cannot see how you could have gotten the speakers in there of the nuts on the speakers themselves. I keep finding more mystery mods Im bent on identifyying ya know.
Hmm no telling. Definitely post up a pic. We may need to consult Joe's 91 to compare with. Might be able to establish 91's "normal" from his.

I
It's the same layout from '92 to '95.......Every time I pass a YJ in the weeds, Makes me go Hmmmmm?

I stand corrected as there is a breaker in that spot. I was thinking #5 on mine was for the wipers. I do have a mistery factory red with yellow stripe and 20A fuse in the #2 spot. Its dang hard to get my head up in there to see as it runs behind the fuse block somewhere. Im gonna have to unscrew the block and see where it goes I reckin.

Might try crank shaft position sensor