Installing rear shocks

OINC_YJ

I just bought a pretty heavily used '95 YJ, for use as a beach buggy to support my post-retirement fishing habit at our cottage on the Outer Banks. I am not much of a mechanic so am reliant on the shop here on the island. I need to replace the rear shocks and my mechanic has pointed out that he needs new nuts (one is missing and that shock is detached) to install the shocks. He says he's tried to find these at the mainland salvage yard he relies on, but they can't help. Can someone advise what nuts are needed and if there are any particular problems in acquiring them? Many thanks.

Geez..theres nothing special about the nuts really. Worst case would be take one of the existing nuts and head to a ACE hardware or Napa. hopefully in your location, to match them up as these things are 50/50 metric SAE. Also get some thick fender washers that are as large as the diameter of the shock eye to keep the shock from moving off the rubber bushing. The OEM shock studs are made to fit the shock bushing just right and the tip is smaller with threads for the nuts. Pretty basic setup.

Geez..theres nothing special about the nuts really. Worst case would be take one of the existing nuts and head to a ACE hardware or Napa. hopefully in your location, to match them up as these things are 50/50 metric SAE. Also get some thick fender washers that are as large as the diameter of the shock eye to keep the shock from moving off the rubber bushing. The OEM shock studs are made to fit the shock bushing just right and the tip is smaller with threads for the nuts. Pretty basic setup.
Thanks. I have a sneaking suspicion mechanic at the shop here just doesn't want to work on it, for some reason. But I'll go back to him with this insight. I've got another reason to go over to civilization and I could get to NAPA and shop if he can pull one off as a model.

I think they’re 1/2-20 thread, but I don’t recall exactly. They are large flange style nuts. If you can get a flange nut that thread on, you should be good to go. And you can prob find them on eBay if you had to.

This is a cheap kit that will do the job. Not stock but will work.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler YJ Forum may be compensated.
I think they’re 1/2-20 thread, but I don’t recall exactly. They are large flange style nuts. If you can get a flange nut that thread on, you should be good to go. And you can prob find them on eBay if you had to.

This is a cheap kit that will do the job. Not stock but will work.

Awesome, thanks.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler YJ Forum may be compensated.
ask all autostores for SAE bolts, many still have them or is in their warehouse. call them say SAE bolts and the size, then drive, if they have em.
yes the car is 1/2 ASE/METRIC,
Using flange bolts is best but washers work.

my big box hardware stores here, the SAE drawers (proper grade) are empty!. so use only autostores and use the correct grade bolts/nuts/washers.
right now shipping delays are horrid, due to Christmas rush, use the phone call them and ask for the SAE bolts then fly.
down times matter right ?and safety driving with no shocks?

Last edited: