How do you remove the top nut from transfer case?

doc-ketamine

Supporting Member
How the @#$! do you remove the top driver-side nut from the transfer case? I am all prepped to install my SYE from Tom Woods ... driveshafts out (rear) or disconnected (front), vent hose disconnected, speedo assembly out, vacuum connection removed ... supporting the transmission w/ a jack and lowered it all about a half inch to give me access. All the nuts securing the TC to the transmission are loose (well one stud came out instead of the nut, that's a rust issue on the stud) - except the top driver-side. I can put my fingers on it. I can see it. But fork me if I can't get a wrench on it, and if I did I wouldn't have room to loosen anything.

There is literally a metal brace for the shift linkage preventing me from accessing the nut, and I can't remove the brace unless I remove the nut.

Am I supposed to lower the transmission much much further? Find a talented octopus?

Any help appreciated.

Is that a thing I can do without messing up the shift linkage? That seems like it would be worth exploring, I spent 10 minutes looking up into the underside of that boot today ...

Reactions: Pman
Get a 9/16ths ratcheting stubby wrench. If you can't find a stubby version, cut a regular sized one down to about 4-6 inches. Lower the rear of the drive train down a few inches to give yourself more space reach across the top of the tcase and go to work. Easy-peasy. I can have a t-case out of a YJ or XJ in about 45 minutes. That top nut takes the longest to get off, I usually remove it first, then work on the others.

Reactions: doc-ketamine
That's a lot lower than I had thought to drop the Tcase / transmission ... will give it a try. I have a 5 inch ratcheting 9/16 wrench and just picked up some half-moon wrenches too.