How difficult is it to get OE inner fender panels to fit on aftermarket tube fenders?

Tanker_01

I have been trying to get a set of inner fender panels from poison spyder for my '89. Every set I have tried to order is on back order with no ETA.

I have tube fenders not stock, how difficult is it to get OE inner fender panels (the rubbery ones) to fit on aftermarket fenders? Im not married to getting the poison spyder ones or even metal ones, I just want to cover my inner fenders. I can get a set of OE fender panels off ebay for under $40 so if those are able to work I would rather do those at this point at least until I can get a set of metal ones.

• Sad
Reactions: Whiplash2130
My OEM ones were so dry and brittle the shattered just from a pressure washer hitting them. I too looked around and in may places and forums the owners seemed to agree to remove them and spray everything with undercoating. They all claim the old inner liners collect mud behind them and cause rust to form. I found buckets of mud behind mine.

I still have some rubber splash guards that try to keep stuff out of the engine compartment and they're still good but those plastic ones all broke just by looking at them.

I've since bought a few cans of Rust-Oleum undercoating, cheap like $6 ea., and will spray everything down after I clean it.

I
My OEM ones were so dry and brittle the shattered just from a pressure washer hitting them. I too looked around and in may places and forums the owners seemed to agree to remove them and spray everything with undercoating. They all claim the old inner liners collect mud behind them and cause rust to form. I found buckets of mud behind mine.

I still have some rubber splash guards that try to keep stuff out of the engine compartment and they're still good but those plastic ones all broke just by looking at them.

I've since bought a few cans of Rust-Oleum undercoating, cheap like $6 ea., and will spray everything down after I clean it.
I am getting ready to remove the original type from my ‘93 YJ. It was recently repainted so the last owner put the cracked ones back on!

so from what you guys are saying apart from the metal panels there really is no good way to get inner fenders other than the crappy stock ones...

so from what you guys are saying apart from the metal panels there really is no good way to get inner fenders other than the crappy stock ones...

Yeah but I only spent one day looking and after reading the other comments I gave up. I'm going with the undercoating. I'm still finding little bits of plastic back from the day I pressure washed it.

Mine came with semi truck mudflap inners. I fitted them a little better (still want to redo them, but it's low on the list). They work great.

20190316_155547.jpg
20190316_155615.jpg
20190316_155630.jpg
20190316_155640.jpg
20190316_155829.jpg

Holy crap I love it. If you want to be a bro you could pull them off and make a template so your YJ brothers can emulate that. That is one of the best cheap DIYs I have seen yet for a Jeep.

What size are those mudflaps? Im looking on Amazon and Ebay now at some. Would 24"x40" work?

Heh. It is on my list to pull one off and make a pattern, but at the moment I'm in the middle of becoming an expert on 30 year old GM EFI systems figuring out how get my 4.3L franken-motor in top tune. A quick measurement says a chunk of rubber 39" x 21" would be big enough to make one.

Heh. It is on my list to pull one off and make a pattern, but at the moment I'm in the middle of becoming an expert on 30 year old GM EFI systems figuring out how get my 4.3L franken-motor in top tune. A quick measurement says a chunk of rubber 39" x 21" would be big enough to make one.

If I can get my hands on some rubber to do this I will make sure to measure them as templates and disperse on here for sure. Anyone know the best place to get 1/4" or thicker rubber sheets?

If I can get my hands on some rubber to do this I will make sure to measure them as templates and disperse on here for sure. Anyone know the best place to get 1/4" or thicker rubber sheets?

If you can get hold of the maintenance manager for a big plant nursery or produce processor they might have worn out lengths of conveyor belt that you could practice on. Might even have some chunks of new stuff from shortening belts and such. Anyone who uses conveyor belts might be able to help you. they wouldn't be quite as stiff as the mudflaps, but maybe good enough.

'nuther odd idea: Back in the 50s they used to take canvas and paint it; just soak it in paint and let it dry. They called it the poor man's fiberglass, and I guess it was nigh on indestructible. You could get a pretty good shape with something like that. Haven't actually tried it, but I've always wanted to...

Last edited:
If you can get hold of the maintenance manager for a big plant nursery or produce processor they might have worn out lengths of conveyor belt that you could practice on. Might even have some chunks of new stuff from shortening belts and such. Anyone who uses conveyor belts might be able to help you. they wouldn't be quite as stiff as the mudflaps, but maybe good enough.

'nuther odd idea: Back in the 50s they used to take canvas and paint it; just soak it in paint and let it dry. They called it the poor man's fiberglass, and I guess it was nigh on indestructible. You could get a pretty good shape with something like that. Haven't actually tried it, but I've always wanted to...

Im thinking maybe like a treadmill mat. You can buy those for under $30 on amazon and theyre gigantic and usually pretty thick.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N808QIH/?tag=yjforum-20

Update on this:
Treadmill mat did not work, was not stiff enough. I think what I may try to do is get a used set of YJ fenders and cut the inner section out of it. I am having a pretty hard time finding them though.

So, was anybody ever able to make a template? Or at the very least, give a little bit of detail as to how you were able to fit the mudflaps in, and attach them?

Want to keep this alive...my inner fenders are the same dry/brittle and falling apart. Anyone successfully template a truck mud flap?

Want to keep this alive...my inner fenders are the same dry/brittle and falling apart. Anyone successfully template a truck mud flap?