Horn Fuse

edgregorio

Hello,

The horn on my 1990 Jeep Wrangler YJ is not working. I checked the horn itself and it worked fine. I cleaned the area behind the steering wheel cover but the horn is still not working. My next step was to check the fuse (probably should have been the first step). According to diagrams I have seen online, the fuse box is located in front of the battery. I can't seem to locate it. Anywhere else I should be looking?

Thanks for your help.

Ed

You should have a fuse box above where your left foot would rest when driving or to the left of the clutch pedal. This one holds you basic type fuse and the blinker can(s). Better check them all as jeep did some funky wiring over the years with regards to whats tapped into what.

I had a ton of corrosion on the copper ring switch inside the horn button on the steering wheel. I can't recall how I got the center button off, I think I just pried off the rubber cover. Horn worked like new after that.

On a 1990 you don’t have the fuse box in front of the battery; that’s 91-95 only. I think all of your fuses are in the panel to the left of the pedals on the firewall.

On a 91-95 there is a horn relay in the box in front of the battery. The steering wheel button grounds the relay ground, then the relay trips and powers the horn. I’m pretty certain 87-90 are the same way except the relay is in a different spot. One of the other forums is saying it’s a square relay up and to the left from the turn signal and hazard relays on the firewall panel by the pedals. Look up there. Might have a bad relay. See if it clicks when you click the horn button. If you can listen in a really quiet environment, you’d be able to hear the relay click when you press the horn button.