Help me modify my stock YJ

ShaneHornet

I've got a very stock YJ that I'm wanting to spruce up. Not really interested in putting a big lift or big wheels on it. Just wanting some ideas on what modifications I could do to make this look like a grandpa doesn't drive it. Chrome grill, chrome wheels? Small lift? What other slight mods really make a stylish difference?

Screenshot_20200606-081718_Facebook.jpg

Reactions: Chris
Convert to two wheel drive and slam ‘er to the ground. 13” 100 spoke wire wheels, paint it brite white and leopard skin interior.
Or put your own personal touch on it. What do YOU want to do?

Reactions: jeepjoe43
I've got a very stock YJ that I'm wanting to spruce up. Not really interested in putting a big lift or big wheels on it. Just wanting some ideas on what modifications I could do to make this look like a grandpa doesn't drive it. Chrome grill, chrome wheels? Small lift? What other slight mods really make a stylish difference?

View attachment 115930
Maybe a 2-2.5 in lift and 31” tires? Also a nice set of rims make a big difference and luckily on a jeep a simple set of chrome steelies with some offset look good in my opinion and there fairly cheap. But that’s just how I would do it

Evening Shane...I'm new to the Forum...how'd you make out with your YJ?
Hey! I ended up going with 31" tires w/new wheels. Bought a 2.5" lift kit from rough country but it's still on back order 👎👎. Really like how it looks now, but will be complete when it's off the ground a bit more. I barely have enough clearance.

20200905_181930.jpg

Reactions: DonnaSue
Looks great...keep pressing! A 2.5" lift with 31s will work well...is that a 4.0?

Hey everyone. I am knew to the group and wanting to do some enhancements and thought I would pile onto this thread. Anyone have any suggestions on shocks? My '95 shocks are shot! Also, I am fairly confident my brake master cylinder went out tonight. It got stuck tonight, my daughter, (the girl in my profile pic) was driving and called saying she couldn't get the darn thing to drive. I went to fetch her and figure this will be my weekend project.

Also, I was given two rock guards and wondered if they would be too heavy for the tiny four cylinder engine. Has anyone added these and noticed any performance degradation?

Might as well ask another question while I am on a roll... I bought a Smitty bikini top and it doesn't fit properly at all. Has anyone bought a top that fits better?

Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 10.04.49 PM.png

Hey everyone. I am knew to the group and wanting to do some enhancements and thought I would pile onto this thread. Anyone have any suggestions on shocks? My '95 shocks are shot! Also, I am fairly confident my brake master cylinder went out tonight. It got stuck tonight, my daughter, (the girl in my profile pic) was driving and called saying she couldn't get the darn thing to drive. I went to fetch her and figure this will be my weekend project.

Also, I was given two rock guards and wondered if they would be too heavy for the tiny four cylinder engine. Has anyone added these and noticed any performance degradation?

Might as well ask another question while I am on a roll... I bought a Smitty bikini top and it doesn't fit properly at all. Has anyone bought a top that fits better?

Morning DonnaSue...welcome to the forum! I'll take your concerns one at a time...

as to the shocks, it depends on the type of ride you're looking for...firm, soft etc. and type of shock (hydraulic or nitrogen filled) that will fit your needs. Does your YJ have a lift? If so there are lift specific shocks you'll need to consider. Quadratec sells a wide variety of shocks and it all comes down to personal preference as to comfort and what you'll be using the Jeep for (daily driver, off-roading, etc.):

I'm not understanding the brake booster issue and the inability for the vehicle to drive...are you saying the booster has a vacuum leak and the engine won't stay running?

As to the rock guards...any significant additional weight, especially with the 2.5L, will degrade the performance...where do the rock guards go and what is the function for your type of driving (cosmetic vs. functional)?

There are two types of bikini tops for the YJ, one for the 87-91 models with the roll bar that has the 45 degree rear supports and one for the 92-95 YJs with the family style roll bar...the difference is that the former only covers the front occupants...the latter covers front and rear occupants, not sure if that addresses your fitment issues though...

Last edited:
Hey guys I have an 87 I got a trail master 4in lift kit on at the shop(I just heard they're junk) and new 35's. She's so bouncy i literally bounce out of my seat. I've had it since May and I thought it would be broken in by now. Can you please give me some advice? Thanks 😊

Morning Denisekonopa,

Not sure if the trail master lift kit came with shocks, but you might want to start there to fix the bounce issues...as a practical matter, I think the fact that you've got a 4" lift and 35s installed inherently introduces a bit of bounce...different shocks might be the way to go...

Morning Denisekonopa,

Not sure if the trail master lift kit came with shocks, but you might want to start there to fix the bounce issues...as a practical matter, I think the fact that you've got a 4" lift and 35s installed inherently introduces a bit of bounce...different shocks might be the way to go...
Try Rancho RS5000X Shocks.