Head gasket blew

dondons1984

Hey guys so on side of the highway waiting for my tow but was driving home and boom blown head gasket at the least. Milky oil with antifreeze on my passenger side pooling out. So I guess it’s time to rebuild it he engine. Anything I need to double check when doing this? My brother in law is a mechanic and we are both on vacation now (fucking ironic). Any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated as well. Anything you guys ran across or problems when you did your yj. I’ll post updates and all that I can. It is a 1990 yj 4.0 inline 6 carburetor not fuel injected. I am guessing it is a must of course to pull the engine and work on it which sadly I am looking forward to doing.

How many miles are on it? I've seen head gaskets blow on several different cars but every one was discovered as a slow leak of coolant into the oil and not a boom with liquid flowing out. Not saying it doesn't happen but I've not seen it.

If you're going for a full rebuild I would seriously consider having a good machine shop check the head and block for cracks (magnaflux) and have them do the head work, cylinders and check the crank journals. Might cost more or save money it they're ok.

I went through this with my 2.5L 4 cyl. when the previous owner ran it out of oil. The shop did all the tolerance and crack checks and machine work for $1000 which included a master rebuild kit with new cam, pistons, valves, guides, bearings... everything needed to get machined to the proper specs. I did all the disassembly and reassembly and painting once they did their work.

They found two connecting rods which were damaged when the bearings spun and I never would have caught that.

Take lots of pictures, you'll be thankful when it come time to put it together.

Download and print the Factory Service Manual chapters which can be found in the Resources section of this website. They have all the instructions, pictures, and torque settings.

Keep us informed.