Having trouble with the starter on my 1990 4.2 automatic YJ

Dagooter

I'm having trouble with my jeep starting. It is a 1990 with a 4.2 and automatic transmission. The starter went last week and I've been trying to get it working since. It cranks, but it's just not wanting to start. Ive changed the wires, distributor cap and rotor, fuel pump works and still does not want to start.My buddy says that I need a starter meant for the automatic transmission. The one I got from advanced seems to be right, but it just isn't cranking like it should. Is there a specific starter for a 4.2 automatic?

I don't recall there being a difference between auto or manual starters on the 4.0 3 speed and 5 speed. Parts stores and sites don't show there being a difference either. Methinks its something else.

Reactions: Stoopid Jeep
What makes you think you need a different starter? is it cranking really slowly? I ask because Im wondering if it needs to be shimmed and its currently jammed against the ring gear so hard its struggling to turn over.

What makes you think you need a different starter? is it cranking really slowly? I ask because Im wondering if it needs to be shimmed and its currently jammed against the ring gear so hard its struggling to turn over.

Yea it's cranking slowly, smoking, and grinding. I was just going through the possibilities. Then i realized that I got a remanufactured starter and I think it's bad out of the box. I'm going to swap it tomorrow for a premium version.