Has anyone found a winch with a bolt pattern that would mount to frame / bumper?

topchop2

Supporting Member
I have a base model YJ with stock bumpers. Only mod was some diamond plate surface over top of bumper. I want to install a winch that mounts to structural components of bumper. Short of welding in some brackets has anyone found a winch with bolt pattern that would mount to frame/bumper?

A winch is going to require either a winch mounting plate or a bumper with a built in winch mounting plate. Never seen any winch whatsoever that would just bolt to the frame directly. That footprint would be very wide, and most winches are much narrower.

Chris,

Thanks. this is what I suspected. If you have any recommendations on where to go shopping for what you know works....let me know

If your looking for something simple and away from the stock look and keep it cheap I have on mine a eab bumper that I will say is super easy to install and has the mounts ready. Takes me about 10 minutes to put it on and go.

850D26AD-077A-4F3C-BCAC-AF2C5F4761B0.jpeg

133B8871-FF46-496C-88A3-4BF19ECAF83B.jpeg

Reactions: Chris
Well, if you want a winch plate to use with the stock bumper, something like this works great:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SGXZK5T/?tag=yjforum-20

I used that on my last one with the stock bumper.
Harbor Freight has a winch mounting plate that will reach both frame rails for $50. Will have to remove plastic piece over frame rails and drill holes to match stock tow hook bolts.

Well, if you want a winch plate to use with the stock bumper, something like this works great:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SGXZK5T/?tag=yjforum-20

I used that on my last one with the stock bumper.
I am n prices of building my bumpers. Probably the two strongest components of my YJ. Making them out of 2”X6” tube with a wall thickness of 1/4”.. built trailer hitches for the front and back bumpers and planning in building a winch plate that is attached to winch tube 2”X2” with 1/4” wall. That way I can mount it on my front bumper and if needed, I can remove it and attach it to my rear bumper… will have winch plug and controller mounted up front and also in the back.. Plug and play.. if I don’t want to carry the winch with me, I can just remove it and store it into the garage..

Last edited: