Hard top wiring harness tub side

SuperFrankieOSX

New to the forum, just acquired a 94 SE hardtop.
It has a few missing things here and there but overall good condition. It seems that there is no harness or switches connecting to the hardtop for rear Wiper, Dome and defrost. There are no switches in the dash either but I have those coming. It appears there are 1 or 2 plugs hanging out underneath the drivers side dash that would probably plug into the switches. Also there is a plug under the hood for the secondary washer pump (which also isn't there). The main thing is my hard top harness that runs along the tub and plugs into the top is missing, anyone know where I can find one? I'll post some images later once I get out of school

Are you missing the entire tub harness that follows along the tub to the brake lights? or just the plug portion that is suppose to plug into the hardtop?

If that is the case, you will need to purchase the harness. Deadjeep.com should have them, it may not be the cleanest condition. You may find them on ebay as well. The dash harness should have the wires you need in order to do the switch. I am not sure if it is the one's that are dangling underneath.

Only one I could find on ebay. Contact the seller and confirm the harness is for defrost, wiper and dome. There are some out there that are just wiper/dome or just dome.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler YJ Forum may be compensated.
Only one I could find on ebay. Contact the seller and confirm the harness is for defrost, wiper and dome. There are some out there that are just wiper/dome or just dome.

Gotcha, thank you so much

Are you missing the entire tub harness that follows along the tub to the brake lights? or just the plug portion that is suppose to plug into the hardtop?

If that is the case, you will need to purchase the harness. Deadjeep.com should have them, it may not be the cleanest condition. You may find them on ebay as well. The dash harness should have the wires you need in order to do the switch. I am not sure if it is the one's that are dangling underneath.

There is wiring inside the top, I believe they just removed that mid section

If that is the case, you will need to purchase the harness. Deadjeep.com should have thece r am, it may not be the cleanest condition. You may find them on ebay as well. The dash harness should have the wires you need in order to do the sw I am not sure if it is the one's that are dangling underneath.

I'll definitely take a look at the dash harness to see if things line up. I

There are still wires that go to the rear lights and whatnot, basically the portion that plugs into the top, i have no idea if they removed the entire link or just spliced it off, I remember seeing twist wire connections in the rear where the brake light wiring is, I'll take some pics later. Thank you for the reply!

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler YJ Forum may be compensated.

I will get on that as well, thank you so much

There are still wires that go to the rear lights and whatnot, basically the portion that plugs into the top, i have no idea if they removed the entire link or just spliced it off, I remember seeing twist wire connections in the rear where the brake light wiring is, I'll take some pics later. Thank you for the reply!
If you see cut wires, then maybe. I am not sure why someone would remove that, but that is just me. However, if your Jeep was originally a base model with a soft top, then you will not have a plug. You would also will not have any switches on the dash opposite of your head light switch. It will just be a blank panel. The wiring for the hardtop switches are confirmed to be there for when you are ready to add the switch.

I am currently in the process of updating mine to use a plug for the hardtop. So far I just have the harness sitting in the box. That project will come later, maybe in the summer.

@machoheadgames will be able to assist you and give more detail on the wiring if needed.

So in the later years 91-95, Jeep stopped adding any hardtop wiring for the rear harness if the Jeep had a soft top. In early years they had dome light wiring whether or not the jeep had a hard or soft top, and if it was a hard top that got defrost, they added the two extra wires for the hardtop defroster.

Your 94 hardtop should have 7 wires in it's 10-pin plug. Those 7 wires support defrost, wiper/sprayer, and dome light. There will be some small plugs to the left and right of the hardtop glass that you can pop out. Dig around in there with a coat hanger or something and fish out the two wires....black on passenger side, brown/orange on driver side. Those are for the defroster. They plug into the gas struts which need to have terminals on them. Then at the bottom of the struts, when you add heated glass, the wires on the glass will plug into the bottom of the struts. If you have a non heated top, then the gas struts will not have the wiring tabs. Need to buy new struts that have the tabs on them. I got some super cheap on rockauto years ago. I actually was just replacing my struts at the time, had no idea there was a difference. They showed up with tabs on them which I had no idea what the purpose was for, but ran them anyways. Now I am currently using them to add defrost to my top.

To get wiring back there from the Jeep, you either need to buy a new tub harness and remove the guts from it to add to your current harness, or you need to just replace your whole rear harness from the dash plugs to the tail lights with the one from eBay. The one I received was pretty nasty so I married the defrost portion into my stock harness. But I already had a non-heated top so 6 or the 7 wires I needed were in my stock body side hardtop plug. I just added the two wires and ran them back up to the dash. There is a red relay for hardtop defroster applications as well, so I tied all that in. It came with my full harness from eBay, I cut out the applicable stuff and wired it up as needed.

Good news is you have the plugs under the dash. Some Jeeps did not even have those, which would have made it to where you would need to buy a dash harness as well.

Whatever questions you have, I should be able to figure out since I have an OEM top with all the features except defrost, and got the defrost added and working (just no glass yet, but the power works back there)

Last edited: