Got scammed and need help to rebuild 89 Wrangler YJ base model

Jeep0520

All, my son bought a 89 YJ and blew the 2.5L up. He ended up getting scammed by someone that claimed to be able to do a LS swap. Long story short the guy is facing criminal charges and I have a shell of a jeep that I want to put back together. This will be fun drive vehicle. I wont be putting doors or the top back on it. I really don't care about any creature comforts, just want to have it to roll around in. Currently, I do not have an engine, transmission, transfer case, front fenders, grille, headlights, gauges and gauge cluster. Also do not have a drive shaft and do not know what condition the brake lines, brakes, axels, or the gas tank are in. As well, I will have to get rid of that cheap AutoZone floor spray, so I can put down some line-x. I think I want to put a small block crate engine in, auto transmission and then I know there are other associated parts that I will need. My hope is that someone has done something like this already and can give me some kind of information and guidance on what is needed to get it back up and running. I am not in a hurry and my son will be helping with the install so it will take some time. Attached are some pics of what I am working with.

Any help would be appreciated.
jeep 1.jpg
Jeep 2.jpg
Jeep 3.jpg
Jeep 4.jpg
Jeep 5.jpg
Jeep 6.jpg
Jeep 7.jpg
Jeep 8.jpg
Jeep 9.jpg
Jeep 10.jpg
Jeep 11.jpg
Jeep 12.jpg
Jeep 13.jpg
Jeep 14.jpg

Last edited:
that a real nice looking wrangler, if i had it i would rebuild in minute. i would stick with type of motor that came out, not a v-8, only asking for problems. you have several salvage yard in you town or did have sometime back , are you a vet?, if you are i would check at the local VFW, they have some guys that i bet would love to help. also most of the high school have students in auto motor practice and they could also help. you have a lot of sources, just have to check around. good luck and safe driving.

that a real nice looking wrangler, if i had it i would rebuild in minute. i would stick with type of motor that came out, not a v-8, only asking for problems. you have several salvage yard in you town or did have sometime back , are you a vet?, if you are i would check at the local VFW, they have some guys that i bet would love to help. also most of the high school have students in auto motor practice and they could also help. you have a lot of sources, just have to check around. good luck and safe driving.
Yes sir, I am a vet, I will check into that. My kid has a few friends that are in auto shop. So I plan to use that free labor

Why is that sir? Just curious?
I'm really not into engine swaps and I suggested that only because you were headed that way.

The TDI is a light weight engine with almost double the HP, torque, and MPG over my 2.4L. From what I've read it's a very straight forward swap with no hidden tricks.

Again, I'm not big on swaps or fabrication to make things fit, but if I were to try, I would go the easy route.
Depends on what people call easy :) I should also add that I'm a flatlander and don't do much more than grocery gettin'. No rock climbing so I don't need the power or durability a V8 or Cummins 4BTmight have.

Keep us informed on your progress!

Cheers

Last edited:
If going the small block Chevy route, I would go with the gm factory 210 hp 350. Used to be called Mr. Goodwrench 350. It’s got enough power and then some for a Wrangler. If using the stock axles you will be limited on how much horse power they will take. My opinion is that will probably be the first weak link. My opinions only.