Going from a TJ to a YJ

JustaJeepfella

I’ve got myself a TJ it was my first ride and while I do adore it and it’s gonna hurt to part with it I want the more rugged look and feel of a YJ (I would also really like a manual instead of an auto) I figure a CJ is just a little too basic for me but I wanna know what are the differences I need to be prepared to deal with if I did trade my TJ especially capability differences I’m gonna try to get a stock YJ and mod it as I go so this matters less but I’d still like to know thanks in advance.

In my opinion, mod life is a lot better on a TJ than a YJ, for multiple reasons. Most important reason to me is that the YJs ride super harsh the taller you go, and the steering goes from good to terrible pretty quick with not much lift. There are things you can do to fix it but I’m personally of the opinion that unless you’re building a trail only rig, a YJ is much more enjoyable on the street when it’s stock or close to it.

TJs have significantly more aftermarket support, better suspension options, etc. So you might keep that in mind.

Reliability wise I think the 91-95 YJs are better than the TJ. Especially 94-95s with external slave cylinders. The YJ is a very solid Jeep, I just hate the compromises they have when you start to do significant lift, bigger tires, aftermarket wheels, yada yada. Keeping that in mind, go for it.

I want to add a TJ to my collection but they’re ridiculously overpriced, I can’t find a clean stock one, and I don’t really have the spare money to deal with it anyways.

Reactions: DOWNS and Gilaguy23
top answer above, keep the coil springs and save your spine.
just fix up the TJ "a bird in the hand is better than... "
but as in all things cars/ what you do with it matters most. (on/off road or what?), towing , or be towed, or ?)
clean 30 year old cars are a dream. good luck there. (and endless scalpers selling)

I hated my TJ for various reasons, but like the guys said a bird in the hand. If you lined up a new CJ,YJ and TJ Id jump on the CJ, but thats just my $.02. There's nothing you can do to a YJ that cant be done to a TJ. They look more less identical save the headlights and some cheesy plastic parts. If its one with all the girlie plastic crap tear it off and trash it. Perhaps your TJ is a rust bucket of a friday special and its time to part ways, but again you'd be $$$ ahead keeping the TJ.

Jeez so the unanimous thought is to stick with the TJ, seems that way anyways with my want for being able to daily it and take it on the trails it does seem like that’s the best idea once I have the money to the side I’ll probably just buy a good YJ and use it on the street.

Reactions: redcardinal
You can do plenty with a streetable and nicely modded YJ or TJ, but at some point it becomes a PITA to use it for a run for groceries and stuff like that, wear and tear on tires and running gear etc. Kinda depends on where you live and how far the area is your going to wheel. Ive sold just sold just about every open top jeep Ive owned over the decades because my work was 90 miles round trip. I loved them but gas, wear and tear and plain old inconvenience made for a POS commuter car to save the truck and jeep. I have a ZJ with 264K miles on it now that saw 30+miles of muddy rutted roads 3-5 days a week, and its still going good save some bushing wear in the suspension.
I understand the "just buy a YJ for the street" but after 47 years of modded jeeps as DD's, Buy a friking cheapo car or something like that to commute and save the jeep.

I’ve had an LJ for four years and picked up a YJ last year. The differences are noticeable, but how important they are depend completely on what your plan is. How are you going to use it?

I’ve had an LJ for four years and picked up a YJ last year. The differences are noticeable, but how important they are depend completely on what your plan is. How are you going to use it?
I reckon I’d be using it the same way I use my TJ week days as a daily driver and on the weekends I go on the trails

I reckon I’d be using it the same way I use my TJ week days as a daily driver and on the weekends I go on the trails
if you’re planning on 33” tires or smaller, and not wanting a rock crawler, the YJ could work for you. I really like the retro/vintage feel inside the YJ. The ride is much stiffer which could be fun on mild trails, but will slow you down on normal street/hwy driving, and could really slow you down with moderately rough trails. The washboard road, for example, could be very slow going.

Reactions: ACKyj