Get the mud off

Stoopid Jeep

YJ Enthusiast
So, my little yj is 99% rust free (it's really clean), I'd sure like to keep it that way as long as possible. Yesterday, I was driving up a logging road that turned into a 300 yard mud pit. That was kinda fun ☺
On the way home I swung by the car wash and sprayed everything off as best as I could. After about 10 bucks worth of spraying, there is still a bit of mud in the nooks and crannies. This is unacceptable, I keep my equipment clean.
The spray wand probably got 85-90% of the big stuff, what's the best way to clean out the rest of the mud?
Several times a year the frame rails get thoroughly flushed out, so I'm not too worried about that.
Keep in mind, it's still winter in North Idaho. sprinkler isn't an option.
Drive it down the boat launch?
wait until spring?
find some big puddles in a parking lot?
It's probably best to clean it off before it turns into concrete.

Im like you and just pressure washed my 91 after some snow and muddy roads. Buy yourself a 1500 +- psi home depot /lowes type pressure washer, get a decent sunny day,slap on some grungy clothes and have fun. I always make a blow dry run after to dry off the brakes ect. Its about the best you can do. Keep in mind even in dry weather the accumulated dust in hard to see places will become a bed of mud or wet after a little rain on the road and eventually rust places if not cleaned up.

If it goes into the mud it will be hell to keep pristine. Been there, done that. Before you make yourself crazy, decide if you want a trailer queen, or a runner. Like my late four wheeling buddy used to say “ if it has tits or tires, it’s gonna cost you and try your patience.”

Reactions: gixxerkid3
I pressure washed mine the day I bought it and had tons of mud and plastic pieces fall out from underneath. Turns out all the OEM plastic inner liners were very brittle and just shattered instantly. They trap a lot of mud back there behind them and luckily I didn't end up with rust.

I removed all the plastic liner and undercoated everything with a thick coat of RustOleum undercoat from Walmart. It's loud when gravel get picked up and slung off the tires but the mud washes right off. I have yet to make some type of rubber arch liner that will protect the metal but won't trap mud.

We have some limestone covered back roads here and that stuff is like slippery clay when it gets wet and dries like hard concrete. Almost impossible to remove.