Gear box

jaysyro

I have a 92 YJ with the original gearbox. Lifted 4 inches with 12.5x33 tires. 4.10 gear ratio.

Suggestions? I’m looking for tighter handling

Bbb industries on rockauto is supposed to be pretty good but you probably have more contributing to bad handling than just a bad box. In fact you could still have a good box and plenty else making it feel loose.

I actually just went with this one … RedHead Steering Gear Core. Seems like a very solid option. Lmk your thoughts.

My mechanic confirmed that the steering is a little loose because of the old box. Figured I’d upgrade…

Redhead seems to have good reviews. The only thing I’m not certain about is their ratio. They mention fixed gear ratios, not variable. Variable is stock and it makes it to where it’s less responsive at high speed so it’s not twitchy, and is responsive at low speed where speed is slow enough for twitchy to not matter. Redhead’s fixed ratio does not seem ideal. I have always wanted to call their customer service to see if maybe it’s variable and they don’t mention it, but haven’t ever bothered. Seems like the quality of their builds is good though, and lasts fine reliably.

I believe that is the case on more modern vehicles, as I know my truck operates that way, but standard YJ and TJ boxes are advertised with a standard ratio of 13-16:1. Redhead advertises most of theirs as a straight 15:1.

Reactions: jeepjoe43
I believe that is the case on more modern vehicles, as I know my truck operates that way, but standard YJ and TJ boxes are advertised with a standard ratio of 13-16:1. Redhead advertises most of theirs as a straight 15:1.
Well that's the way my newer Merc is too, first time I've ever had it.
With my combo street and interstate driving, I have to say I like it!
Still need to figure out if my if my old El Dorado box will fit Fluffy, though it may be a faster ratio.