Gas tank

J hicks

When filling my fuel tank I have to pump so slow that it takes about a half hour to fill the 15 gallon tank. I have checked the fillet hose for kinks and found nothing, I checked the vent hose and the same nothing. Any suggestions?

There are two filling hoses, a filler and a vent. Both are critical to proper filling. Are both free and clear? They're both connected to the filler neck.

What year is your YJ? Once 91 hit, they all had the same tank with a different vent hose insert. One was for 15 gallon, one was for 20 gallon even though the physical size of the tank was the same. The 15 gallon insert went far into the tank and prevented the tank from being filled to 20 gallon even though the tank was actually a 20 gallon tank. If you aren't the original owner, it's possible a previous owner put a 20 gallon sending unit in a Jeep originally equipped with a 15 gallon vent tube, and what you are running into is having to try to top off a tank that's only setup to take 15 gallons while the gauge is trying to read a 20 gallon sensor.

What year is your YJ? Once 91 hit, they all had the same tank with a different vent hose insert. One was for 15 gallon, one was for 20 gallon even though the physical size of the tank was the same. The 15 gallon insert went far into the tank and prevented the tank from being filled to 20 gallon even though the tank was actually a 20 gallon tank. If you aren't the original owner, it's possible a previous owner put a 20 gallon sending unit in a Jeep originally equipped with a 15 gallon vent tube, and what you are running into is having to try to top off a tank that's only setup to take 15 gallons while the gauge is trying to read a 20 gallon sensor.
That is a good theory, although in my experience, despite the fuel sending units being actually different, they read about the same....meaning that a 15 gallon unit used on a tank with the tube cut, really ends up working about the same as the 20 gallon unit on the factory 20 gallon limit. Sadly that means both sit on full for nearly 100 miles, dependent upon achieved mpg.

all that to say that while it's possible, I doubt he's stopping at 15 gallons on either sending unit and not reaching F already. But, it's possible. It's really odd that Jeep had two different sending units and they both performed so similarly for drastically different size tanks.

Reactions: DOWNS
My 15 gallon sending until would barely touch "F", when filling with the stock vent tube insert. Once I cut the insert down (never switched out the 15 gallon sending unit) it would very much peg the gauge until I hit 60-80 miles on a full tank.

We're not there to see how the OP is filling his tank. But I doubt his vent or fill tube is clogged up, those are pretty substantially sized hoses, which barring the gas pump itself are about the only reason we should see the issue he is seeing, other than trying to top off a tank that's still "corked" to 15 gallons.

Reactions: machoheadgames
My 15 gallon sending until would barely touch "F", when filling with the stock vent tube insert. Once I cut the insert down (never switched out the 15 gallon sending unit) it would very much peg the gauge until I hit 60-80 miles on a full tank.

We're not there to see how the OP is filling his tank. But I doubt his vent or fill tube is clogged up, those are pretty substantially sized hoses, which barring the gas pump itself are about the only reason we should see the issue he is seeing, other than trying to top off a tank that's still "corked" to 15 gallons.
Agreed. I didn't reply again because I'm pretty stumped on what else it could be. The only time I've ever had fuel spill or stopping completely, was when the gas station I went to sucked. The YJ actually taking the fuel is probably the most reliable of any vehicle I've ever driven, other than when the license plate likes to push the gas pump up and ruin it. But that isn't often.

Reactions: DOWNS
The problem is that it literally takes me a 1/2 hour to fill the Jeep up because the pump keeps kicking off thinking it is full. I have to pump so slow that the pump dials are barely moving

The problem is that it literally takes me a 1/2 hour to fill the Jeep up because the pump keeps kicking off thinking it is full. I have to pump so slow that the pump dials are barely moving
How many gallons are in at the first shutoff?

I'm curious how much to first cut off as well. And have you tried different pumps?