Gas Gauge Not Working

Winningpants

Hello!

My fuel gauge was not working in my 92 Sahara so I dropped my tank and took the sending unit out. My plastic tray was warped so I took it out. With the sending unit out of the tank I plugged it in and moved the float and the gas gauge would move. So I put everything back together and filled up the tank and the gas gauge does not work.
I did notice when I put the straps back on that hold the tank to the skid plate the whole unit would sit above the tank. Like the tank was being flattened and the sending unit was too tall now. I was able to screw it back on but I'm not sure if that would cause any issues with the float.
Any ideas on what could be causing it to work outside the tank and not inside?
Thanks!!!

Hello!

My fuel gauge was not working in my 92 Sahara so I dropped my tank and took the sending unit out. My plastic tray was warped so I took it out. With the sending unit out of the tank I plugged it in and moved the float and the gas gauge would move. So I put everything back together and filled up the tank and the gas gauge does not work.
I did notice when I put the straps back on that hold the tank to the skid plate the whole unit would sit above the tank. Like the tank was being flattened and the sending unit was too tall now. I was able to screw it back on but I'm not sure if that would cause any issues with the float.
Any ideas on what could be causing it to work outside the tank and not inside?
Thanks!!!
There's a rubber "snubber" at the bottom of the pump assembly that rams into the bottom of the tank when the assembly is bolted down. That's normal when you're putting it back together. No idea what's going on with your sending unit.

Reactions: Winningpants
Possible the wires on top of tank are getting pushed in a position when the tank is put back in place that is causing a loss of signal.

When I replaced my sending unit on my '89, I took the wire connected off, I noticed the pins were a bit Corroded. I scrapped them GENTLY with a pen knife and some fine sand paper. I took some grease design just for electrical connections and put a thin coating on pins.
I p!ugged unit in and zip tied connect tight to make sure all was well.
I had left a few gallons if gas in tank, so I knew if sending unit would work.
The old we DJ g I took apart,( plastic cover over resister), sanded that lightly to remove the rust, bent the tab on the float lift. Got it to work!
Also, make sure your tank is grounded!
A wire from one if the sending unit to a main wire I ran up through Jeeo, ( was a fiberglass body swap), to the battery.
Try these tips!
Joe
If it were easy, it wouldn't be a Jeep Project!!