Fuel tank issues and fixes

Flyer58

YJ Enthusiast
This is round two for having my fuel tank out and here's one fix I didn't mention before.

First off, and current problem, I found the plastic float has fuel inside it. I'm looking for just a new float but can't locate one for the YJ. There's plenty out there for the CJ but comments say it doesn't fit the YJ. Any sources you know of? As a last resort I'll poke two holes in it and blow the gas out then give a very light coating of gas proof sealant. The sending unit works fine.

1694535532042.jpeg

The first time I had the tank out I found the sending unit arm was stuck against the side of the slosh box because the box was warped and catching the float arm. I folded over a strip of 18ga sheet metal to reinforce the side edge and it solved that problem. Now I just need the float to actually float.

Before
1694536229339.jpeg

After
1694536265963.jpeg

Hope this helps.

Reactions: DOWNS
this post a ' what I did show and tell?" if yes great thanks
never seen rockauto dot com? really"
the full racks are sold too. see them>?
I see your other post fearing , non oem jeep parts is this related?
yes warp is E10 fuel, USA fed mandate on ethanol. it warps plastic or the last guy put in non e10 rated parts.
and great cure, metal sandwich.

yes finding sub parts from pump and sender are no easy, (yes pump, yes, sock,) but not others
if you call maker.
More Information for ULTRA-POWER SP736H
ask them if ok for E10?
the real; maker is Spectra Premium, A top USA maker. SP clue1
see complaints at amazon here, are for users clueless of the FPR on the fuel rail ,stuck open as they love to do, and fuel pressure at 10psi.

and fails to do the under hood rail fuel pump shunt test. omg passes, and FPR is bad.
or fails shunt
shunt test per FSM shows how to block the FPR fuel return line, and see 60 to 90 PSI
or find PSI low and the wire at the pump are rusty not 12vdc there but is 6v. (called bad wiring 30+ years old) from FP relay to the rear.
if wires bad run new wire pair to pump, end it.

seen here

i bet the pump here is e10 safe, call them. it is ISO90001 certified factory, not ever easy to do for sure.
thanks for showing how some brands of fuel parts not good with E10.
same happens in boats. well known.
their web site states

Spectra Fuel pump and modules are tested or durability and long-life in E10, E85, and Diesel. (today) no warping, or melting. as expected 2023.
Yes these tips worked for me after searching the internet and finding no help other than buy a new tank and buy a new pump with a sending unit. I spent an hour searching for that silly little float cylinder and never came across one. Yes I checked Rock Auto and found they usually have everything and often have the quality items I can trust. These fixes cost me nothing and solved my problems. I finally have a gas gauge that's accurate when reading empty which is all that counts for me. Beats guessing by using the trip odometer.