Front helical LSD making me a safer winter driver

Stoopid Jeep

YJ Enthusiast
I installed a Spartan Helical LSD (like a Tru Trac) in the front of the Jeep last summer. Now that the roads are covered in snow and ice, I've had to learn how to drive all over again.
I've run 4wds in the winter all my life, always with open diffs. Paired with a good set of studded tires; kick her in 4hi, turn the corner and smash the throttle. Just rallyin'😃
With a front LSD ...not so much 😟
Turn corner, smash throttle ➡️➡️ continue going straight.
So, now I have to go nice and easy when cornering in 4wd. Probably not a bad thing.
With gentle throttle, it behaves very well and isn't a problem.
I'm thinking about installing a Tru Trac in the rear this spring. I wonder how that will be on the icy North Idaho roads 🤔
The scariest variable is definitely the loose nut behind the wheel.

IMG_20211020_210307439.jpg

Last edited:
My friend used to rave about his wifes honda crv? (little turd box car) Front wheel drive so when he nailed it and turned it would go like a slot car into a turn. Maybe ya outta yank out the rear DS :whistle: BTW, my truck has a rear locker and on ice its pretty touch and go trying to not swap ends.

Reactions: jeepjoe43
Lockers are great, but not on any kind of slick surface, not even wet pavement.
Once did a 360 on Bell road in the rain while I was learning my new rear Detroit in my old Waggy.
I once rode in a k5 Jimmy that slammed into the back of an S10, on Bell Rd, in the rain.
Spartan helical isn't a locker, it's a Torsen (torque-sensing) style mechanical limited slip.
It's a good unit, but takes some getting used to on slick surfaces.

Reactions: jeepjoe43
Surprised to hear it is giving you problems. Maybe something is wrong with it? It should operate like a truetrac based on its LSD description….I went with truetracs front and rear in mine specifically for their good operation in slick conditions.

Surprised to hear it is giving you problems. Maybe something is wrong with it? It should operate like a truetrac based on its LSD description….I went with truetracs front and rear in mine specifically for their good operation in slick conditions.
Nothing wrong with it. Just don't mash the skinny pedal while turning on slick roads.

Reactions: RoxxRocks
I once rode in a k5 Jimmy that slammed into the back of an S10, on Bell Rd, in the rain.
Spartan helical isn't a locker, it's a Torsen (torque-sensing) style mechanical limited slip.
It's a good unit, but takes some getting used to on slick surfaces.
I understand it's a Torsen, but if you put a little throttle to them they lock up.
Yeah, just gotta drive it easy. TADs' are certainly not for newbies.

So I guess Torsens act differently than a TrueTrac?
A true Torsen-Gleason is a little different from a TrueTrac, also much more fragile.
Can't speak from experience how each may act differently, but the TrueTrac uses some addition forces to lock up.
They both work on worm principal though you have to drive any LSD easy when it's slippery.